Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

What Flight School Did You Get Your Licence At?

Helijason

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

QUOTE(gli77 @ Apr 9 2006, 03:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rotorhead:

Would you recommend training on the 47 over the R22?

Thanks

Always

QUOTE(Dusty Roads @ Apr 9 2006, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been told that if you can fly the R22 smoothly (or as smooth as its humanly possible with that thing) you can fly anything smooth. If your a big guy though...maybe think 47.

I've flown both. The 47 flies like an overloaded JetRanger and the R22 flies like an empty one. The overloaded one will teach you power management. The old 47 is a busy machine especially with a worn out cambox. Nothing wrong with any of the trainers, I also flew a HU300 once and a Enstom F28F for 15 hours and really liked them both.

RH

.....not to offend anyone or anything of that sort but ive been told..STAY AWAY FROM ROBINSON HELICOPTERS (R22 R44). I work as an AME apprentice to gain maintainence experience for when I go to start my flying career. Every AME and pilot that I have talked to so far has warned me to stay away from robinson helicopters.....they are a death wish....mainly due to their design. They have a "toy like" airframe that is not as structurally sound as it could be. The second reason is poor autorotation characteristics. the MGB and main rotor system presents very poor rotor inertia. basically once your engine fails...you have about 3 seconds to put the machine into auto rotation before the inertia runs out. Your aircrafts rotor then loses its flight and lift characteristics and becomes practically unrecoverable.

I couldnt say if this is true or not but thats what ive heard.

Im told that the 47 is an excellent aircraft to train in.

Cheers

TM

QUOTE(gli77 @ Apr 9 2006, 03:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

RH

.....not to offend anyone or anything of that sort but ive been told..STAY AWAY FROM ROBINSON HELICOPTERS (R22 R44). I work as an AME apprentice to gain maintainence experience for when I go to start my flying career. Every AME and pilot that I have talked to so far has warned me to stay away from robinson helicopters.....they are a death wish....mainly due to their design. They have a "toy like" airframe that is not as structurally sound as it could be. The second reason is poor autorotation characteristics. the MGB and main rotor system presents very poor rotor inertia. basically once your engine fails...you have about 3 seconds to put the machine into auto rotation before the inertia runs out. Your aircrafts rotor then loses its flight and lift characteristics and becomes practically unrecoverable.

I couldnt say if this is true or not but thats what ive heard.

Im told that the 47 is an excellent aircraft to train in.

Cheers

TM

I'm sure you've only insulted Frank, TM. You should however talk to more pilots about the supposed short comings of the R22. Perhaps even some that have flown them more than a couple of hours. If those that you've talked to do have more than a few hours in them, like maybe hundreds or thousands of hours, isn't that a testiment to the fact that they (the R22) may not be a flying death trap?

I learned to fly on the 47, and have instructed in 22's, 300's, Enstroms and 44's. All have good attributes for learning and all have short comings. I like the 22 the best because that's what I have the most time in. I also know for a fact that they hold up pretty well when you come up holding the short end of the stick.

post-282-1187401305_thumb.jpg

RH1

Oh ya! Canadore College, Rick Kirkwood, Collin Sullivan (RIP), Dan Danford and Big Al.

Guest plumber

You were probably talking to some old school guys when they said stay away from the robbies. I dont know anything about the 22 but the 44 is a great machine tonnes of tail rotor authourity. Faster than a jet ranger. It autos like a dream once youve done a few in them. Its an all round great machine just some guys are just to proud to admit it.