Some Advice Please

VTA

Hi Guys,

Like a few of the readers on this forum, I’ve been working international offshore (guess who with?) for a number of years and to be honest it’s wearing real thin...Now while my single time is minimal, I’ve plenty of medium and heavy twin, but been in the IFR World (you’d be surprised how little IFR we actually fly!) for years, hence VFR is rusty, and no long line experience to speak of…So my question is…Would a guy like me, early 40’s, mortgage, minivan etc etc, really be able to slip back into the Canadian market, or am I stuck?? And please don’t say EMS, been there done that.. I’m trying to figure out some options here before I explode!!!

Thanks,

VTA

Hi Guys,

Like a few of the readers on this forum, I’ve been working international offshore (guess who with?) for a number of years and to be honest it’s wearing real thin...Now while my single time is minimal, I’ve plenty of medium and heavy twin, but been in the IFR World (you’d be surprised how little IFR we actually fly!) for years, hence VFR is rusty, and no long line experience to speak of…So my question is…Would a guy like me, early 40’s, mortgage, minivan etc etc, really be able to slip back into the Canadian market, or am I stuck?? And please don’t say EMS, been there done that.. I’m trying to figure out some options here before I explode!!!

Thanks,

VTA

Personally I think your crazy but...............different strokes.

You will most likely have to start out as a bit of a newbie unforunately. this is going to mean a hidious cut in pay and that is one definition of "stuck". If you want it there are no shortage of small companies who will take you on based on your experience and put you to work somewhere to relearn the skills required for the new (old) world of VFR bush. Because you have a bag of medium twin time I wouldnt think it would be too long before you are into a 212 somewhere.

One big industrie employer these days is the Siesmic ops in Northern BC and Alta. Get into a light hauling bags and baggies for a bit to get your line skills honed and try to get into a 212 haulin drills.

I know at least one chief pilot of a big western company that believes IFR pilots need to be completly regrooved in order to fly in the bush. Im not sure if his attitude is prevalent or not.

Be careful what you wish for.

VTA,

I've been VFR bush ops, light and medium, for 12 years. I feel Deuce may be correct with the re-learning process. Fortunately for you this should prove fairly easy, yet may be time consuming. Being late 30's, mortgage, minivan, etc I understsand your concern.

I have been slinging bags in the winters for about five years and think that no reputable operator will send you out of the barn on your own with no line time.

Have to ask yourself how bad you want the change.

Good Luck

Hey VTA,

If you don't mind flying the 212 on rotation in the winter months doing NVFR ops you can probably get a job with Canadian Helicopters Limited. They'll use you on 206s and a-stars all spring, summer and fall.

Call Todd Tomecek (Bob H's replacement) in Edmonton for the facts.

Later,

ttf

Thanks ttf,

I head out on tour real soon, so might give them a call when I get back...I'm sure plenty of guys think I'm crazy, but the internal problems within CHC right now has created a put-up-or-shut-up culture. As corporate mentality towards crews will never change, vote-with-yer-feet is the only option...

Thanks again,