Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

If The Terms Eipa And Itar Aren't Familiar

lamanated

Well the states and Canada also have entered into a new era with regards to purchasing and selling of parts or any manuals etc,that have any similar use with the military..

Several of the manufactures have been fined 10's of millions for errors already.for supplying parts that ended up having a military use somewhere like a small chip or gyro, so this isn't taken lightly.

Even a tech rep I met recently, was relating how despite having what he thought would be sufficient documents with him,was detained at customs and his only saving grace, was the fact that they were hand written notes.So for those of us that have laptops and maintenance CD's etc with you could find yourself sitting at customs or having the items confiscated..As a check,I searched my hard drive for any info and found three companies service bullitens etc on my temporary files...

Having a licence isn't enough,so heading down to do a crew change with some spares in your baggage as we all do.and good luck..That also includes going on a course at the factory etc. you need pre clearance to get on it...

If you want ammendments for a manual for example you would have to apply to the factory and they will be checking you out before allowing them to be sent.As I said the tech rep for the factory had his tools held by customs and he was detained despite having cards etc.

You won't get into a course or buy parts without having been cleared.I never heard if they will issue an ID card.so having that licence in your pocket apparently means zip.

Boeing got something like 50-60 million in fines,and they are always on the brink of bankruptcy it seems.So it shows you they don't fool around.

As far as a POH is concerned, I'd say the same. How could you prove to a security guy that you are legally allowed to possess that manual when a factory rep barely could satisfy them.

I tried to get access to the an online engine pubs like SB's,and asked for the pubs for an aircraft that I was licenced on (for maintaining currency) but we didn't operate at the place I'm at now. I had to fax the type course diploma to them.and wait for them to approve it..

• 4 weeks later...

Thought you might be overreacting a little lamanated 'cause it sounded too draconian to be true (no disrespect intended). Then this in the NY Times :shock: ...

"May 7, 2006

5 on Plane Are Detained at Newark, but Later Freed

By MANNY FERNANDEZ and KAREEM FAHIM

Five men on an American Airlines flight from Dallas to Newark set off a security alert and were detained yesterday after passengers and crew members said they were acting suspiciously and reading flight manuals, officials said.

But officials said they determined that the men posed no threat, and released them. At least four of the men were members of the Angolan military, one official said, and had just finished helicopter training in Texas.

After the plane landed safely at Newark Liberty International Airport at 3:15 p.m., the men were searched, handcuffed and taken into custody by police officers from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates the airport, the authorities and passengers said. The men were eventually interviewed by the F.B.I. and allowed to leave, officials said.

Flight 1874 left Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport around 11:15 a.m. with 121 passengers and 5 crew members.

Steve Siegel, a special agent with the F.B.I. in Newark, said that the five men were speaking in a foreign language — the official language of Angola is Portuguese — and switching seats, and that "between the passengers and the flight crew, there were some suspicions."

Two law enforcement officials who spoke on condition of anonymity said the men also aroused concern because they were reading flight manuals.

One of the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the incident, said the five men — four in the Angolan military, and the fifth an Israeli — had just completed helicopter training at a Bell Helicopter flight school in Texas.

The official said the men were talking among themselves, switching seats, holding manuals and sometimes making hand gestures.

Among the passengers were air marshals and an agent from the Drug Enforcement Administration. After the agents "made themselves known to each other," the official said, they separated, guarding the plane from different posts.

The D.E.A. agent positioned himself at the front of the plane, near the cockpit door, to head off any attack there. Meanwhile, the marshals sat where they could keep watch over the five men.

An air marshal on board notified authorities on the ground that there were five suspicious passengers aboard, said Marc LaVorgna, a spokesman for the Port Authority.

Some passengers interviewed last night said there was nothing suspicious about the men. The men acted like "a group of people traveling together who didn't get seats together," said Barbara O'Reilly, 66, a passenger from Tulsa, Okla. "I was really surprised" that they were taken into custody, she said.

Geri Inness, 59, a former flight attendant who was a passenger, said the men were singled out for no reason. "They looked shocked, like, 'What the **** is going on?' That was the expression they had on their faces," said Ms. Inness, who was returning from a trip to an artist colony in Mexico.

After the plane, an MD-80, landed in Newark, it taxied to a secure and remote area of the airport. Passengers said emergency vehicles surrounded the plane, and their luggage was placed on the tarmac. They said bomb-sniffing dogs screened their luggage as well as the plane after passengers exited the airliner. They were taken by bus to a terminal.

The men were released sometime before 5:30 p.m. One law enforcement official said they caught a connecting flight to Angola. They had no weapons, said Tim Smith, a spokesman for American Airlines.

Madelyn Connolly, 85, a retired teacher from El Paso, said she was sitting next to one of the men in Row 9. The man, tall and muscular in a cap and a red jacket, talked with another man sitting across the aisle from him. After the plane landed, air marshals asked the man closest to her to go with them. She said he did so without protesting.

"They were not one bit suspicious," she said. "You wouldn't think a thing about them."

But Mr. Siegel, the F.B.I. special agent, said he did not fault those who reported the behavior.

"We would never second-guess anyone who sat through this," he said. "We'd rather people report their observations. That's exactly what happened here."

Janon Fisher, Nate Schweber and Matthew L. Wald contributed reporting for this article."