Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

We Are Not Alone

seems the helicopter industry is not alone in this rate battle

http://www.cbc.ca/bc/story/bc_trucking.html?ref=rss

"They were protesting soaring fuel rates and a system in which anyone can enter the business, undercut other drivers and push down hauling rates. "

"Mediator Vince Ready came up with a solution that included a new base hauling rate, a fuel surcharge and an order-in-council that froze the rate and exempted the drivers from the federal Competition Act."

just curious, how are taxi cab rates/fares established ?? is there a commission or association that controls rates ?? seems there is a way around the collusion factor of fixing rates "exempted the drivers from the federal Competition Act."

Wasn't that the way it was in aviation prior to deregulation in 1987 ?

Large users of aircraft would lobby very strongly against any form of re-regulation I think. And most operators would also lobby against it as it basically stops competition between operators.

true about the large users of aircraft, but in the case of the truckers, it's the operators (like us) who are doing the complaining and doing the work stoppage and getting a mediator involved.

i guess the biggest difference is that most of the truckers are independants, where most pilots are employed by aircraft owners.

i suppose cabbies fall closer to the same profile as pilots, and it's the companies they work for who set the tarrifs ??

there was an upstart independant that started operating cabs in town, and was quickly shut down by some sort of regulatory laws.

i suppose deregulation is necessary in a free society, but who pays the price ???

Wasn't that the way it was in aviation prior to deregulation in 1987 ?

Large users of aircraft would lobby very strongly against any form of re-regulation I think. And most operators would also lobby against it as it basically stops competition between operators.

It is all very simple, more operators = more A/C = more competion = lower rates= lower wages

RW

In Ontario the licensing agency for taxi's set the rate, ie the town, muncipality. The taxi companies may go before council to ask for a rate increase, this is usually a long drawn out affair, and can take months.

Dave

It is all very simple, more operators = more A/C = more competion = lower rates= lower wages

RW

In my experience exactly the opposite occurs.

Start-up operators typically pay more to recruit good help. My equation would be more like;

More Operators = More A/C = More Opportunity = More money.

The ONLY people that let pay rates fall in the industry are the employees. If you won't work for crap wages, no-one will be able to pay them. The equation you post is typical of someone allowing this cycle to occur.

Maybe you are the problem?

N1

Exactly right, Newby gets in works for dirt cheap, but doesn't realize that he is setting a precident and only cutting his own throat 10 years down the line when he deserves better wages, but the next generation is cutting his throat.

Too bad there wasn't a organization of some kind so that wage minimums are set some how based on experience.

Go figure!, with all these self professed professionals around there seems to be a great deal of unorganized and unstructured approach to resolving this long standing problem.

H