Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Travelling By Airline

vintagemilano

I'm going to be travelling a bit in the near future by airline, not too experienced with this, in the past I've mainly travelled with the helicopters or by my own power....

I'm going to have to pack to work on two types of helicopter and three seasons so will have more than an overnight bag.

Is it better to have fewer heavier pieces that by default are easier to lock/secure or are you better off having many lighter pieces but may be harder to keep fingers out of.

Fewer would be one of these, http://www.rubbermaidcommercialproducts.co...20198&do=detail

a clam shell and a pelican 1550.

The other plan is to have the contents of the action packer broken into three or four with the clam shell and 1550 still.

Any thoughts?

I know if you travel to or into the states they will cut the locks off. You can purchase locks that TSA can open but I am sorry i can't recall where. When I have travelled in the past I worked out where I could leave stuff with the machine. I had the same crew chane all the time so this worked out well

Depends on how efficient your packing is. Some guys have it down to an art, and can cram all tools into one large pelican type case. If you're carrying metric and standard, you can save space by cutting out the overlap since alot of the sizes are close enough to have one wrench/socket work on both. Some are good enough to know they never use a 5/16 deep socket (or whatever) so they never bring it. I suppose if you travel enough, you pick up on these things. :wacko:

I try to travel as light and simple as possible. One big personal bag, with a clamshell and small action packer for tools. With three pieces of checked luggage you'll pay extra, but I've never had problems with my employers paying that. Airlines can fine you if they find any dangerous goods in your tool box (I've seen guys get caught with 'personal quatities' of grease, MEK, etc. on random searches). Butane for soldering kits is also illegal, but it's usually pretty easy to find a Canadian Tire or something at the other end to get a re-fill. Other than that, standard bush kit. :up:

Air Canada (our excuse for a national airline) has a 2 bag max and then it's $75 a pop for each extra. :down: :down:

Weight to 70 lbs I think and probably an overweight charge after that as well. 2 carry-ons I think as well that will fit overhead...

For us here, it sucks to try and get everything on.

Other things you need to know are no greases lighters butane etc allowed,so the small grease amounts go in film containers and the butane gets bought when you get there,the soldering iron gets put in your shaving kit as it really is a hair curler(which is allowed)

the film containers go in your camera case from what I hear.and ty wrap the box with yellow or red tywraps,so when it gets opened then you know, as they do it up with black ones., put duct tape on the side and put the destination on it so the handlers will see it and it will arrive with you..not diverted because they didn't read the label correctly. I wrote Aircraft mechanic must ride on my box when I worked in the states in the hopes it would get treated fairly by the handlers.Also if the company supplies the basic tools etc for the machine,then they won't have to pay the overbaggage,I've seen $250 overbaggage fees per flight when I worked in the Arctic. Plastic breaks in the cold,so get a metal one,and put wear strips on the bottom. and get one that has the padlock provision.

I am pretty sure if you are flying aircanada it is more than $75 for an extra bag.They changed their rates just before christmas, I think you also have to check anything over 70 lbs as cargo now.

You could always send your tools as cargo. I made a wood box (not too heavy) to put my box in and it always made it ok.

If know people where you are going they can pick up your box at cargo for you before you get there and save you some hassel.

vintagemilano,

I only carry one soft toolbag with very basic metric, imperial and electrical tools (25 lbs) and it always has been enough to do the job. I used to carry everything under the sun but it was never used and it was heavy. Focus on electrical crap and the small tools (adjustable wrenches rock!). A few special tools (C20 idle adjustment etc) to be thrown in for good measure. Only bring a few cotter pins and film containers of grease, .032 lockwire (screw the plastic tub). Its not like you are working on mediums or rebuilding a wreck you are doing snags and 100 hrs. :shock: