Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Power Checks

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unless you can confirm that the guages are accurate also, you are wasting your time , as I have seen OAT guages several degrees out .lots of loose antiice levers. All NR/N2 guages are off. You need a digital reading to confirm the TOT and N2 guages and the tower to get an accurate OAT, and a magnifing glass to read some charts. Guages are allowed a 2% error when calibrated. Every 2X6 N2 reads 1-2 % off, usually low on the vibrex 2000. Astar also.TOT is allowed about 10 degrees also.

I''m back again Mini. I was in the bathtub.

Downwash accurately paraphrased my earlier input regarding the informal frequent power checks. Pls keep in mind that my experience is limited and is also limited to piston poppers. That''s why I am glad to read some responses from a couple of experienced guys incl engineers (407 / frenchwrench).

The Bell 206 required power checks that we did every fifty hours of airtime or once a month (If I remember correctly). Being fairly busy a few years ago, I usually did one for each logbook page.

On a multi engine turbine machine, we do daily trend checks which are just that, a trend check, so if anything is changing, such as MBG pressure or temperature, it can be picked up between scheduled power assurance checks (topping). Also, there is a check that we do on the SK61 that is called a Total Performance Check done every 300 hours or after maintenance requires it.

RH

This week, I am in a camp at the mouth of the Orinoco River in Venezuela and cannot get out on Hotmail or Yahoo with the restrictions on the oil company`s Internet connection. So if anyone is wondering why I haven`t been in email contact, this is why.

Frenchwrench said it all,if the gauges in the dash have'nt been checked recently they are the first things to be suspected if you are getting some bad numbers.Also said and I agree is Know were you start from if you are switching to a lot of different aircraft.Under similar conditions and weights pulling a set torgue should get you the same TOT.If not ask the wrench if the gauges have been checked lately.PS...if the values are small I wouldn't bugging the wrench unless you want a C wrench in the ear!!!....I'm a wrench as well as a pilot.2.gif9.gif

It would be great for the low timers in this forum if one the more experienced pilots can explain how he makes the power check of a 206 from the first step til the last step!!!!!

And maybee some good advicements!!

Thank''s in advanced

Toni

206A/B/B3 Power check...Vertical climb method.

-Altimeter to 29.92

-All air systems off (bleed, anti ice)

-Generator off

-Cruise at target altitude for a few minutes and record OAT.

-Descend 500'' below target altitude, reduce airspeed to 0

-0 speed climb through target altitude at Max Q or Max TOT

-Record Nr, N1, Q, TOT when climbing through target altitude.

-Graph results, using correct power check chart for engine (C20, C20B, etc)and installed equipment (particle separators, etc).

Okay,time to be a little more specific.What,if any of the companys you guys and girls work for require you to do power checks,and how often do they require you to perform them.ie after maintenace,every 25 hrs or what?