Notice Anything About The Altitude Record Setting B3

helo1.jpg

Altitude records are classified by weight and installed engine.

Picture is a Cessna Skyhook, before setting an altitude record.

"The flight went off without a hitch, and after reaching an indicated altitude of 30,755 feet, Captain Bowman returned to the aircraft to the Wichita airfield. Additional fuel was added and the aircraft reweighed to ensure it qualified for the heavier category, and again it was off on the climb. This time an altitude of 28,200 was achieved, and the helicopter generated a contrail across the Kansas sky! Unfortunately, it also picked up the jetstream, and by the time it got down it had to land at El Dorado some thirty miles to the east of Wichita."

"Both records are still current and recognized by the FAI, albeit in the piston engine sub-category. The Cessna held the absolute record for about a year before another Alouette II eclipsed it. "

So.. a helicopter does not need to meet it's type design to set a record. Just needs enough stuff to fly...

I thought it was interesting that the B3 pilot siad he encountered a 5000 fpm updraft while he bottomed the collective climbing up Mt Everest. That would be about a 7000 fpm updraft. Not hard to believe the winds were that strong after looking at the banner cloud stretching from the summit.

Shutting down on the summit might be a bit of a challenge. The video shows it to be very small and the helicopter doing a toe in. Still, there is always a first time.

The Eurocopter promotional DVD of the whole affair clearly shows the summit and how unstable the winds were. I don't see how any aircraft can land firmly and reduce power let alone shut down on such a small and treacherous peak.

Wether you're an Astar or Bell fan is irrelevent. Someone has landed on the top of Mount Everest twice with a helicopter which to me kind of diminishes the human feat of climbing it.

I can see the headlines in five years from now as they develop more powerfull engines and rotor systems: " Why risk your life and waste your money clilmbing the stupid thing when you can get there in 15 minutes by helicopter!!!! Call 1-800-GO NEPAL and book your flight today!!