The best thing about the helicopter industry...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing we do...

People is a good place to start. The people are incredible in many different ways. When you are spinning your wheels on the ramp, feeling that you are getting no where, slowly, along comes a guy like 412, Skipping down the ramp giving you nothing but encouragement. When it is needed most.

A guy named Doug Hare, who gave a rampie a chance when it seemed like no one would. Not only gave a person a chance, but was willing to go that extra mile for for someone he hardly knew.

A cheif pilot in the Yukon, who treated you like a son. Giving you heck when you needed it, but giving so much more.

Many of the customers who had you over for beers and dinner. Some who became lifelong friends.

How about a job with instant gratification.

Flying over calgary and being dispatched to a call of an assault in progress. Wrong place wrong time. One man being beat by three. The three jumping in their Jeep trying to get away. Giving the ground units directions to where they are. Watching them going to jail.

Getting called to follow a cutline to where a man has just about had his leg severed by a chainsaw, and flying him to a hospital before he bleeds out.

Taking people for their first ride in a helicopter for a special event, and making it as special as you can.

How about having a chance to work in a beautiful place like the Yukon, for a great company like Trans North. Flying all day, landing at the hotsprings to relax or a creekside to find some dinner.

How about flying those incredible firemen and women in and out of those fires day in and out.

Even better, how about starting off to work in the morning feeling like the world is using you as it''s personal toilet, but with every mile closer to the airport you can feel the excitement build, as you are that much closer to doing that great thing we do. There are truely too many things to list.

Just read some of the caring and well wishing that goes on in this site for our fallen comrades or the injured ones, or our families that live with what we do. That shows you who we work with, and how great they are.

Just the readers digest answer. Take care of each other.

A few words come to mind here: ardor, passion, zeal, reunions and especially how we look forward to them, EGG (emergency golf games), BBQ's and ribs, monthly brews at the corner pub (any excuse is good enough), an special understanding, a unique respect, the knowing what you mean look, the protectiveness (though we can also eat our own), how time doesn't change a thing except make it better (like a fine wine), oh yeah, and how we tend to remember how good we were! 

What I really like about this industry, is the plain and envied fact that there is none like it period!  Not only are we most often reading the same book, but also on the same page and line!

Dohhh, time for a monthly reunion!

Hey Helicopper!  Finally got my copy of "Tales of a Coast Dog" (in fact I got 3, 2 for a couple buddies of mine), so far sooooo good!

If I may add after reading helicopper's reply below:  "WE ARE"  reading the same books !!!! 9.gif

The money,The glory,The chicks.NOT it is most surly the people in this industry.