What Do You Guys Think Of This Idea?

allbananas

Flinger, your figures match perfectly my own calculations. Notice that $47,500 is close of buying a job which will give you 300 hrs for customers which pay for their part the regular price, and you need two/three years to build this time... if the company runs well. I prefer to keep my job, fly during weekends, master my flight schedule and invite friends.

The hard part is to find a R22 for $100,000 with enough time left to build time and resell it before the 2200 hrs overhaul.

Ryan, according to Robinson's R22 operating cost data sheet, the 2200 hrs overhaul costs $US 90,600 at the factory. I have no idea of the cost in a local Robinson service center.

PL

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey flinger,

i was just wondering why you wouldn't suggest spraying straight out of flight school?

I think that i once i am done my flight training, i will go ahead and buy a helicopter. I haven't decided on what kind, but overall it just seems like the right thing to do, if you can afford it. I have talked to a few companies and they all tell me that they would love to hire more low time pilots, but like you said, customers and insurance companies put restrictions and minimum hour requiremnts on them, so that they can only allow more experienced pilots for the job.

I just figure this might be a nice way around it :)

Anyways, thanks for all your help and input.

AB

Hey flinger,

i was just wondering why you wouldn't suggest spraying straight out of flight school?

Anyways, thanks for all your help and input.

AB

:) AB.....i think his point is, be sure to get some advanced training and checkout from an experienced/qualified pilot that has spray experience. There is enough inherent risks and pitfalls in spraying that an ab initio flight instructor may not be able to assist you with. Your ab initio training, as you will see, gives you just enough time to meet a flight test standard........advanced flying, such as spraying requires another level of training and competency........happy flying ;)

Thanks Helilog56, i see what you are saying. I was thinking about doing some spraying for myself, since i have a farm. Why let somebody else do it, if you can save yourself money and do it. However, i was thinking that i would get a more flying experience first, then maybe take some additional training with an instructor that has done alot of crop spraying. Then i would try and tackle it.

AB

You may want to investigate the effects of spraying on the machine you buy....it sounds like you will be considering Robinson.....was there not a limiting of the tbo when you sprayed?

There must be a robbie guy out there who can answer this one....for some reason i have 1600 hours tbo when a/c is used for spraying??

good luck and dont give up on your search for a job while you look for a machine....

You may want to investigate the effects of spraying on the machine you buy....it sounds like you will be considering Robinson.....was there not a limiting of the tbo when you sprayed?

There must be a robbie guy out there who can answer this one....for some reason i have 1600 hours tbo when a/c is used for spraying??

good luck and dont give up on your search for a job while you look for a machine....

Snowedin,

i am thinking more along the lines of either a Bell 206, Enstrom, Schweitzer or maybe the R44. Haven't made up my mind yet, and still doing reaserch on all of them.

Personnally I would go for the 206... but thats me. (Keep in mind Im not a helicopter pilot... YET) Weight the running costs against the purchase costs, against the payload etc. Then decide what you want.

Maintainance (wow, bet I spelled that wrong) costs are going to be a big player in this... the 206 might see more people that can work on them as they are the most common helicopter (again, wait until someone confirms this). The 300 is a nice helicopter, but its lacking in the pax dept, cost per seat per hour may be higher then the B3 (... anyone?) and it has a decent payload.

My vote's for the Jetbox. :up:

Btw, where ya located, if its near, I could pitch in some money for ah, not a commercial ride thats for sure, and we could go for a rip.

Cole B)

Hey cole,

Thanks for your input.

I know what you are saying about it being cheaper per person for a Bell 206. However, i am not sure i would really find alot of people that would fly with me (and actually pay for it). I guess i what i am trying to figure out is if i want to buy a helicopter just for my personal use that will give me hours, or if i want to buy one that i can put to work once i have a little bit more experience, and then go from there.

I found a chart that compares all the helicopters on helinews.com I am currently working on making sure that these numbers are correct. I think it will really help me make a decision.

Check it out if you would like:

and

Does anyone in here have any experience in flying the Enstrom? Is there anyone in canada that can do the maintanance on them?

Does anyone in here have any spraying experience with the R44, Enstrom F280FX, Bell 206 or the schweitzer 300C? What are these helicopers like to spray with?

Thanks guys

AB

All bananas.

If you buy or even consider buying an enstrom you need to get your head checked. :shock:

YOu have but one realsitic choice and that is the 206 jetranger it is the best all round machine and this way you won't get stuck with a useless helicopter.

If you really want to spend the bucks get a AS350BA.

The 206 is great for finding parts, pilots, insurance and mission capabilities are endless.

FLY SMART FLY BELL. B) :up:

H :wacko:

Has anyone ever investigated the capabilities and cost factor, however stil fairly new, of the sweitzer (sp?) 333. Are they capable of doing anything but sightseeing? They are turbine powered but I dont know the specs. or really anything about that one. Does anyone have any experience with these as they are a relatively new addition to the market, and even fewer i imagine working. Just curious as I just seen one in a mag. article saying they wanted to get more in the western utility market as competition for the r-44.