Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ever Do A Little Brush-up Reading Enroute To A Job?

Ohhhhhhhhh & the press can kiss my asss too.........buncha fear mongerin asshats who get off on this and label it "news".

So in continuation, the lady from Ryans story made herself an indirect terrorist but the news media is worse.

Yes, news is news and regardless of the year it happens in, it will be reported, but since 'that fateful day' all of these incidents have been overdramacized and the news media has become terrorists after the single most influential incident of terrorism in North America.

I mostly agree with Rosco, but here's my two cents. They are reporting news, but the way they deliver it and how they add their own spin to it: words they choose to use and include / select photos and video they choose / what they tie into the story / the 'emotion' they put into their delivery and expression, all of this is horrible and its a disgrace to everyone watching except for the people that believe in terrosim against the North America because IT IS HELPING THE TERRORIST INFLUENCE!! It is making people continue to fear the fear that is terrorism. It's a huge downward spiral.

Yes, we need to stay alert but anything much more past that is letting the terrosits win. Terrorism is not necessarily blowing things up or crashing planes but creating terror through these actions.

What I am trying to say is that we DO have to try and get past it. I realize it is tough, more so for Americans than Canadians because they seem to be the more direct targets, but if we don't move past these horrible events then the terror will continue and that means someone is winning and it's not us.

Transquebecneice, I am not brushing aside your story or concerns toward the passenger on you flight because that does not sound like rational behaviour at all (especially the part about the exit door), and warranted the need for detaining/questioning of said passenger.

Shame on the media and their need to scare people so that they will stay glued to their televisions for more news on "this latest terrorist alert" and overglorifying most all of it. Jerks.

Murdoch

*edited for spelling

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TQN....i dont beleive the accidents & tragedies of the last 15 years have really changed anything, on the outside for the unknowing.....the changes are more of an "internal issue" for airlines & operators than for the passengers.

Beg to differ. This frequent flyer's perceptions and expectations have been shaped by everything from Northwest Airlines Flight 1482 (a DC-9 that collided with Northwest Flight 299, a Boeing 727, Dec. 1990) to an Armavian Airbus A-320 that crashed into the Black Sea near Sochi, killing all 113 people on board—just 9 days ago. Maybe it's just me, but it's not paranoia that sharpens my senses; it's knowledge. :)

As for all that other stuff. Well. I agree to a minor degree. If we were both cats and someone tossed us in a barrel and added catnip toys labeled "government, terrorism, the press and stereotyping," somethin' tells me we'd go round and round and round until our ears and tails were bloody and clumps of fur were missin'! :up: Yeehaw!

(Hi, Murdie! :bye: I hear ya!)

Could you imagine fighting WWII with the media we have now in place. The allies would have lost. Nothing would be in secret and the media would have been standing on the shores of Normandy, rubbing their hands together, waiting for the invasion to fail. Some advice, turn the idiot box off.

Couldn't agree more 212 but the only point i might add is that they'd be standin there cryin Freedom of Speech and how violated they'd feel and then go on to blame someone else for the bad information.

TQN....differ away...........I file things like that under "Shitt Happens" cause nothin i coulda said or done would have changed the outcome had i been on that flight.....so are you sayin that knowing about that midair crash has sharpened your senses enough to keep another from happenin or that you acquired enough knowledge to know when it will happen..............it's fate or kharma or destiny or whatever name you want to put on it.........when it's your time, it's time....no matter what happened in the past.

What I'm saying is this: Knowledge has sharpened my senses enough to make me more perceptive, alert to and aware of what is going on around me. And I am certainly not alone. As for stopping fate, no. You cannot control fate. Destiny, however...can be controlled to a degree. Check the pax of Flight 93, for example. They changed their destiny (by their actions, they were destined to be heroes) but certainly not their fate. And last, but not least, not all members of the media are shleps. *hair flip* and *hmph* B)

Probably the biggest media laugh I had was watching the TV camera's when the Americans were coming ashore invading Somalia.

I told my wife that they would be welcomed with open arms by the Somalians who had very carefully hidden all there WMD and would take them out at a later date, as happened.

They actually should have let the Brit's go in first as they were the ones that created the hatred through there colonization practice's. Take every thing out of a country and leave nothing behind.

This observer was there in 76.

I was in the Ogaden when the Israeli's flew over and into Uganda, which of course among other African countries is part of the Commonwealth.

What does the Commonwealth do????? NOTHING and to this day NOTHING.

Canada is part of the Commonwealth and if we can go into other countries, WHY NOT AFRICA????

Don

I believe that it is safe to state, that anyone "trying anything", causing any kind of disturbance or acting anything out of the "norm" would be dealt-with by the onboard passengers MUCH more quickly nowadays than in the past. I've now seen two examples aboard flights I've been on since 9/11 where the passengers in question were "dealt with" by passngers onboard and even before the Captain could get involved. Rightly or wrongly, people are not going to tolerate or idly sit-by any longer and only be witnesses or "not get involved".

I personally do not see the threat in the air as I once might have. I now am aware that two drops from a tube of some biological weapon into the water supply of many major North American cities would cause a much greater loss of life. In my particular city, there are NO precautions whatsoever that have been taken against such a possibility. Apparently the reasons being that it is felt that "there's small chance of any Canadian city being in any imminent danger". The scary thing to me is that it appears that that opinion is shared by the majority of Canadians and their "city fathers".

...ALL brought to you bt SOME members of a certain religion from a CERTAIN part of the world. It also follows that SOME members of our society are going to over-react to what THEY consider "not normal" onboard their flights........and will never "get past it" or "move-on"...

...The excuse of the boogie man comin to get us AGAIN is gettin a little old and dry...

...The lady in question in Ryans story is terrorising through terrorism, which in fact makes her a terrorist ("everyone on the flight panics and a few more adults start crying and everyone stampedes off the aircraft" - terror)....

...It is making people continue to fear the fear that is terrorism. It's a huge downward spiral. Yes, we need to stay alert but anything much more past that is letting the terrosits win...if we don't move past these horrible events then the terror will continue and that means someone is winning and it's not us...

...I file things like that under "#### Happens" cause nothin i coulda said or done would have changed the outcome had i been on that flight...when it's your time, it's time....no matter what happened in the past...

Rightly or wrongly, people are not going to tolerate or idly sit-by any longer and only be witnesses or "not get involved"....I personally do not see the threat in the air as I once might have. I now am aware that two drops from a tube of some biological weapon into the water supply of many major North American cities would cause a much greater loss of life. In my particular city, there are NO precautions whatsoever that have been taken against such a possibility. Apparently the reasons being that it is felt that "there's small chance of any Canadian city being in any imminent danger". The scary thing to me is that it appears that that opinion is shared by the majority of Canadians and their "city fathers".

Bingo on all accounts. Totally agree. All media crapola aside, what I do not agree with is blatant complacency, the careless letting down of one's guard and a nonchalant attitude about such matters. We are all citizens of this world and no country is immune; like it or not, it's our job to not be so. And I'm not saying this applies to anyone here, so take no offense. Just makin' a statement. That is all. Bring the firing squad. :)

(Sorry, Don. Don't know where to go with Somalia at the moment.) ;)

212 wrench -------- odd that you should make that statement about WW2. Those are almost the exact words spoken by my father as an RCAF vet of WW2. He felt strongly that it is very important for the general public to know.........UP TO A CERTAIN POINT.

The media does well on many fronts, but things get "mutated" and stories get "generated" because of the pressure of editors and their time-lines on by-lines expected from a given reporter. Have nothing that you can or are able to report and your job security/posting enters into the picture. I personally saw stories "generated" and totally based on falsehoods during my two tours in Vietnam. As well as in aviation, there are those in the news world who also work by the axiom......."if you don't hear a good story to report, then start one". More than one reporter has been caught "red-handed" in recent times doing the exact same thing and the last one I remember was a high-profile reporter for the New York Times yet. Last reported, they were going back over his previously submitted by-lines to check on their validity also.