Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Where Are Helmets Available In Canada

Headsets incorporated in Hartford Conn, does work and sells parts for Gentex, Ebay works well also.and there is one place in the US for Alphas,on the east cost

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to this discussion. I got a lot of good information from here and from other sources. From many sources I learned that the Alphas don't seem to be very well built, and the Gallets, while apparently a quality helmet are quite expensive, certainly more then I can justify at this period in my career. I also had 1 comment that they were noisy although this was from a guy who had previously used dynamic noise cancelling. It looks like maybe Gentexes may be purchasable from Flight Suits now but I have decided to refurbish mu HGU-55 with new "super comfort liner", new comfort seal ear pads, new edge roll a new paint job, and a new single visor and lens. This could run within a couple hundred dollars of a new HGU-55, without the avionics package, so when they call with an estimate for the refurbishing, I will see what the cost of a new one with my desired capeabilities will run with my old, previously renewed harness installed. Thanks again to everyone who contributed.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure the shell is still good before you go investing in your current one. Check particularly carefully around the molded wells for the ear cups. If there is any evidence of cracking, it probably won't be worthwhile putting any money into.

• 2 weeks later...
Make sure the shell is still good before you go investing in your current one. Check particularly carefully around the molded wells for the ear cups. If there is any evidence of cracking, it probably won't be worthwhile putting any money into.

Just to finish off this item, I sent in my HGU-55 to Flight Suits to get it refurbished but when they looked at it it would have needed almost everything except the shell replaced at about the cost of a new one so I opted for a new helmet. I had thought about buying another -55 but when I considered the fact that it wasn't recomended for helicopters because it didn't have the side protection that the others did I opted for an HGU-84. To get it sent to Canada it had to be painted. They are still being restricted to USA sales. Painting probably slips in as refurbishment. With the painting and a new helmet bag, comfort ear seals, and 3 skullcaps the price worked out to around $1150 US, more than I wanted to pay but I had to bite the bullet and I think I am getting a superior helmet at a reasonable price. I just didn't want to deal with the US overseas delivery company that NOBODY had anything good to say about. Hopefully, it will arrive before my next tour starts late in June. Thanks again to all who participated.

Alpha for about $1450 USD with a bag. Just let him know what you want, give him your credit card number and you'll have a brand new beauty in less than a week. Comes right to your door FedEx. :up: :up: :up:

James Malone

Interactive Safety Products

9825A Northcross Center Court

Huntersville, NC

(704) 659-7255

Maxcraft avionics in vancouver is an alpha eagle dealer. But it's gonna cost you $2500 taxes inc. through some web reserch I found a place in north carolina and the same helmet with all the bells and whistles(ANR Not included) landed was $1700 canadian. Also you don't pay duty because it is "safety Equipment".The people down there were top notch and didn't stop till we were satisfied.

The company is "Ineractive Safety Products" and thre web address is

www.helmetsystems.com

• 4 weeks later...

I have an almost brand new Gentex Helmet for sale. Its an extra large and it has ANR installed. If anyone is interested in buying it, we can talk about it and come up with a good price for it. It comes with brand new helmet bag as well.

If anyone is intersted, just pm me.

thanks

ab

Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket ANR kits? Specificly the ones from http://anr-headsets.com

The prices seem pretty reasonable.

I have two of their kits. One in my SPH-4b and the other in my DC Headset. I find this system works very well. It's marginally inferior to the DC system, but way less expensive. I get about 25 hours on an alkaline 9v battery with my helmet and about 20 with the headset.

As far as installation goes, it's child's play...