Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Dropped Drill

As a postscript, I should probably mention that as part of our in-house investigation, the remote hook that was in use at the time of the incident, was totally dissassembled (I mean down to the last nut & bolt!) and no defects were found. Not wanting to implicate the manufacturer, I will only say it is commonly found on the belly of a lot of Bell mediums out there.

In addition, the drill owner got on board with us to help eliminate chances of a repeat and installed 3/4" clevises on the large oval rings on all of their 4-point harnesses. The rest of the project was completed without a hitch, albeit with a different hook, and they have graciously offered us the opportunity to help them out with another project with the same drill, a/c, & pilot.

Play safe, everyone.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well no one got hurt and thats the most important thing.

With most of my drill moving we used manual swivel hooks. No inadvertant release.

I pull the belly electric c/b on the 500 when flying drills. I would rather squeeze the manual instead of accidently dropping the drill on a driler. some guys wont dis able the elec release, but thats my choice.

I cant tell you the amount of bags I have had the strap break in flight... I had a box and a bat almost hit a car one day... The funny thing is they would cull out bags as bad but somehow they would end right back out on the line... Finally the boss and I one day went through a pile of " bad bags" and cut all the straps that were bad so they would not end back out!

I can remember two times I have had an inadavertent release, the first I was flying a 204B (VEX), and had a generator on a 50 foot line over sea ice during the decommisioning of the old Dewline, fat, dumb, and happy, holding about 60mph and it just departed, all I felt was a little bump as it let go.

Second time was partly my fault. Once again on a 204(RGA), around Norman Smells on forestry, water bucketing, and the bucket departed while in a right hand turn. Turns out we had a hook with the tongue cut down. I had never seen such a beast, but I do remember remarking to myself that the HOOK LOOKED FUNNY. Should of, could of, but didn,t.

SO, all you Bell Medium drivers, go double check your hooks, and check those tongues have not been cut, as they are probably still one or two out here!

Fly safe, and remember to have fun!

gwk

I wouldnt mind finding out whatever came of the 212 that dropped the bucket a block from my house... for those of you that dont know penticton, he was over the city (Right 34 or left16) when the bucket dropped, so he landed at the school and put it in, off he went.

There was some speculation that the bucket was actually INSIDE the helicopter, but Im not sure whatever came of the investigation.

Anyone?

Cole B)

I think thats why we ask the customer if he wants to buy sling insurance? Isn't it the same with the helicopter? We buy insurance for that too! Forrest Gump said it all too well. Even the multi billion dollar space shuttle with the hundreds of engineers and thousands of support staff, failed. I've dropped some loads too. When you come up to a fire with a full load of water and can't remember witch button to push, just go back to stagging and try it there. Its easier to hook back up there than walking back through the bush with a 100 kb bucket on your back.