Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Dropped Drill

As a postscript, I should probably mention that as part of our in-house investigation, the remote hook that was in use at the time of the incident, was totally dissassembled (I mean down to the last nut & bolt!) and no defects were found. Not wanting to implicate the manufacturer, I will only say it is commonly found on the belly of a lot of Bell mediums out there.

In addition, the drill owner got on board with us to help eliminate chances of a repeat and installed 3/4" clevises on the large oval rings on all of their 4-point harnesses. The rest of the project was completed without a hitch, albeit with a different hook, and they have graciously offered us the opportunity to help them out with another project with the same drill, a/c, & pilot.

Play safe, everyone.

As everyone has said #### happens and no one was hurt that is the main thing. One thing for all of you to ensure is that your longline is not live.. There should not be anypower to your remote hook unless the switch has been activated.

I have seen many ships wired where activation of the switch completes the cicuit to ground.. Power to the hook will cause the hook to release as you said above if there is any short or connection to ground.. In some cases i havee seen people use the cable as a ground.. #### happens there usually is a reason though..

Fly Safe eveyone and check your gear!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy Cow! :blink:

I asked a simple set of questions about an incident, got attiitude, responded in kind, and now all this???

Sorry to those involved if I offended you, I appreciated reading in depth about it - #### does happen, and has happened to me over the years too. Was NEVER trying to imply otherwise. Where you guys get this stuff from?

As for several of your responses, may I suggest you get a life(RH)? Pop a valium and relax man, life's a wee bit too short to let the old blood pressure rise so rapidly... :down:

AR

...As for several of your responses, may I suggest you get a life(RH)? Pop a valium and relax man, life's a wee bit too short to let the old blood pressure rise so rapidly... :down:

AR

Sorry to get you upset, I just yearn for the good old days when this forum was worth reading and contributing to. It just seems to be a rumour mill now. Be careful slagging company names, Yellowhead has a lot of friends here.

And for the record, I do already have a pretty good life. Two main goals yet to achieve, but doing well otherwise. :)

Sorry to ruffle your feathers, Gin and tonic slides down well at 33 degrees Celcius in the tropics. :cold:

:D

RH

Hi Auto.....

Thank you for your apology for upsetting some people.

I don't think that was your intent, judging from your usual posts in the past.

I don't want to add fuel to a fire that is hopefully now out, but are you surprised they got upset ??

You referred to the incident as a "f'up", and then made a sarcastic remark about the "BC aviation community" after only one person replied to your question.

Then you suggest other people should "pop a valium"............????????????

Let's all treat each other with the respect we would expect in return from our fellow pilots.

Thanks, OT

Ok,

Now that everyone's friends again, one final word from me on the subject.

There was no general disrespect meant for the company, Yellowhead, or the pilot, whoever you may be, just a(I thought polite) troll for some info. We all do more or less the same thing, and I have respect for everyone who is engaged in it. As for the "F-up," it's a term, nothing more. The hook may have F'd up, the pilot, the machine, the line, etc etc, to interpret that term as a slag against the outfit or the pilot specifically is a sad comment on the tone of this forum.(in the past there have been many such inferences implied and meant)

Regardless of which company or person is being talked about, if you look long enough there will usually be both good and bad said, some of it informed, some not. Nobody is beyond reproach, not Yellowhead or any other outfit, certainly not pilots and engineers, and least of all me. So with that in mind, may I suggest we all take RH's suggestion of a Gin, and enjoy the upcoming summer?

I hope everyone has a safe and successful summer,

AR

GIN????? :blink:

now THAT's something that is "F-up"..................

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, new to me, but it keeps the "Bangkok belly" settled down and doesn't put on the pounds that the Tiger beer does. Lord knows I have enough pounds to lose.

You have a fun summer there man. If it didn't screw up the OETC, I'd come looking to give you some help.

RH