Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

In The Mountains.....

I'm putting some feelers out to those who would be better to answer this question. The guys that fly every day in the Rookies.

What Helicopter type would be better suited for operations in the Mountains, 7000 asl. eg., better performance at gross, IGE and OGE. The Bell 206 Jet Ranger 3 or the Eurocopter 120. I'm only requesting opinions on these two types please. Thanks for your input.

EC120's in the Rockies/Selkirks/Monashees ...... 0 ?

( but maybe a couple in the coast ranges around YVR )

206B3's in the Rockies/Selkirks/Monashees ....... 30+

Compare the charts, the 206 is quite good at altitude ( and I should know :up: ), I've heard that the EC120 is not?

I would say the 206B3. Seems the Rockies are missing any presence of the EC120. I would think you would have to take this thread beyond Canadian boundry's due to the lack of the 120 here.

The 206 is not a top performer, but under proper use and limits has a valuable and unbeatable reputation in the Rocks...

A light 206B3 will most likely outperform a 120. Unlike many other EC products, the 120's performance charts are just as hit-and-miss as the 206B3's. I've seen the 120 not deliver what the charts predicted, just as I've seen the 206 do the same.

Add the additional power required to keep the fenestron happy, and I think I'd go with the Bell. You will also have a better support network to back you up.

Spend a few extra bucks than a 206B3 (lots less than the EC120) and get the 206LR. It will carry your 206 loads with room for the bulky items without being uncompetitive. Also for the occassional 5-6 person load you would be able to accommodate them.

Depend, are you planning to do things by the RFM or the feel of the aircraft.

Gotta agree with ADF on that one. If you follow that little flip out chart on the side of the dash of the 206LR you can't lift skin off day old porridge on a hot day at 6000'. If I remember correctly by the numbers if we had to take something to the top of the mountain in the summer, the FM's said you had to use the 206B2 (the 206B2 could beat the LR - a B3 would have even been better!)

I know a few companies that have succesfully used 206 LR's in the Kootenay/Columbia and Okanagan for years (yes that means in the mountains). The C20R+ engine has enough jam for most applications. The LR allows for a little more year-round operational flexiability for the money while having a decent maintenance cost per hour. Its a compromise, if you want to play hot and high all day long go for a 350 B3 or 407 but that wasn't an option. Price point, affordability and operational flexability is the name of the game.