Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

In The Mountains.....

Amado

Well if it was me and I was not prepared to dump a huge sum on a B3 or B2 or 407 I would be looking at the LAMA. Great High Altitude performance and a really simple AC for maintenance. Parts can be a bugger to find but all in all for the price you cannot beat it at altitude. :up:

Have many hours on said type and would fly one again in a heartbeat.

H

A few more things to think about besides "lifting" (which is the same between the 2). No wind azimuith to worry about on the fenestrom, HUGE payload capability dimension wise, as there is a rear belly door and side cargo doors, seats are quick pinned and their is no post or wall behind the front seats. The rear wall even opens to carry a 1O foot pipe legally. Ya you can legally fly with the rear belly door off and cargo hanging out the back. 125 knots cruise @ 1000' at max gross. Not going to do that in a Jetbox! AIR CONDITIONING! ...these are all just off the top of my head.

As per the price, well the 120 was designed 5 years ago, not 35 years ago.

There will be more of them as everyone they make is sold into 2008.

I am also not bias as we have a 120 and a Long Ranger.

Well then speed!, I believe there is a GAZELLE for sale in the courtney area, and that will out lift, out speed and out perform the 120 on all counts. and 350K. Fernstrom included.

I like the 120, but as a stable flight platform, ie during HYD failure or autos it drops out of the sky.

Ever had a real hyd failure on a 350!, no where nearly as easy as a 206.

Sure the 120 is nice looking but the price$$$. Lets face it the utility work in the mountains requireds lift capability ( at altitude!)

I'll take the Lama anyday in the mountains as a all round good machine, though the technology is old, it still has few rivals.

H

Ya i know its expensive, But my new chevy pick up is 5 times more than my 82 ford. And everyone is driving new pick ups. And the guys that arent wish they were.

Yes the gazelle is good, but this is between the 120 and the Jetbox.

Next question. Which would you rather crash in? Money shouldnt be as much of a player now?

whatever you choose it's going to be based on factors we are unaware of, such as the financial state of your company.

Clearly the winner would be the latest greatest state of the art aircraft, provided you can afford it. And judging by recent and future sales, the market can and will support the higher priced new machines. Last year maybe 14 120's in Canada, and this year, into the high 20's. and the order book, as stated is full for some time.

Pity though, once a customer rides in the best and see's how little the difference really is in the tarrif's, they'll be really wondering why they're getting screwed flying the old crap.

whatever you choose it's going to be based on factors we are unaware of, such as the financial state of your company.

Clearly the winner would be the latest greatest state of the art aircraft, provided you can afford it. And judging by recent and future sales, the market can and will support the higher priced new machines. Last year maybe 14 120's in Canada, and this year, into the high 20's. and the order book, as stated is full for some time.

Pity though, once a customer rides in the best and see's how little the difference really is in the tarrif's, they'll be really wondering why they're getting screwed flying the old crap.

Fenestron, the question was what ship performs better in the mountains, not who sold what and from the pilots comments that have flown them in the mountains it seems to lean toward the 206B out performing the 120 at altitude.When a machine can't lift as much as another at altitude and is more expensive, I think you're right, the customer will wonder why they're getting screwed...

Thanks everyone for your comments and insite. It looks like a question that will be hard to answer........which type performs better....I haven't flown a 120 but I do have time in a 350 D and B2. I like the power they have.

Thanks once again.

Cheers