HRDC Funding

N2

Well said Arctic Front.

Duf, my compliments to you if you can get the funding. But that doesn't mean we support the concept of using Government funds for such a purpose.

Yes, some 100 hour pilots WILL be hired next year. But there will be too many others hanging around looking disappointed. To think that my tax dollars helped get them licenced for non-existent jobs makes me mad.

Here's what else makes me mad....

Pilots that want a "guaranteed job", regardless of whether their boss thinks they are a valuable asset to the company.

Thank goodness that is not part of our industry. Let's keep it that way.

There is no free lunch !!

Save the money, spend the money, hustle, smile, get a job, keep a job, it's that easy !!

My compliments to you guys that use the HRDC funding to your favour.

I'll just be glad when that is not part of our industry too.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, over talk

I hate to be the one to break it to you, that it is part of our industry. I know several (4 at least) that used the HRDC program to fund part of their training. They all work in the industry and are doing very well ( contributing back to the program that helped them with their tax dollars).

They are all good pilots with excellent attitudes and have done well in the business because of the chance that this program provided. Not all people trying to use the program are leeches looking for something cool to do, before they move on. Not all the people using the program are of the poor attitude that 'chief pilots can see when they walk through the door'.

I'm guessing a little bit here, so correct me if I'm wrong, but i think the programs are a little different now than the example that you provide of 21 years ago and the WCB program. I haven't heard of the whole training being paid for by the HRDC program. In fact, several years ago, i know it was capped at $10 000.

So, the program works in some cases...but, i'd just be interested to find out how many cases really don't work......

what about the days of Canadore???

alot of pilots came through that school with most of their training paid for....

i was one of those that scraped, begged, borrowed (but never stole) the money i needed to get my licence. i never had a "free ride".....

that being said, seeing the way our gov't throws away cash makes me think sometimes that if you can get a chunk, more power to you. but one thing to remember is the words of my first boss: "i won't hired a Canadore pilot, i don't like the idea of someone who didn't pay their own way"

i imagine some of that thinking still persists today???????

confidentiality keeps me from providing details but yes, HRDC provides FULL funding! that's 40K of your (and mine) tax dollars

my 2 bits for the day :wacko:

Hi, J. Left, thanks for the good news on funded pilots, but my points remain the same,

1. My compliments to those that obtained the funding. If it's there, use it.

2. Extra compliments to those that are now working in the industry.

3. But how many pilots got funding, yet couldn't find work because there are more pilots than jobs ??

4. A "business plan" does not increase the chance of getting a job, just the chance of getting $10,000.

5. Multiply the unemployed pilots in point #3, by the $10,000 in point #4...we can't afford it !!

(Or multiplied by the $40K that 412 Driver mentions (and he instucts at a well-known school) !!

6. Just because it is part of our industry doesn't mean it should stay that way.

We presently face a shortage of skilled helicopter pilots. This will worsen in the future.

We should not be spending taxes to increase the number of new pilots when there is a surplus already.

If anything, Government funding should be given to operators that will hire and upgrade new pilots to a standard that is useful to the operator, i.e pipeline patrol, traffic watch etc.

How does this sound ??.....The pilot must be already Commercially licenced, the operator must hire the pilot for a minimum period at a specified respectable wage, and the operator must show log-book records of flight training actually completed.

Your thoughts please.

"If anything, Government funding should be given to operators that will hire and upgrade new pilots to a standard that is useful to the operator, i.e pipeline patrol, traffic watch etc.

How does this sound ??.....The pilot must be already Commercially licenced, the operator must hire the pilot for a minimum period at a specified respectable wage, and the operator must show log-book records of flight training actually completed."

now THAT'S a good idea!!!!!! :up:

Jammed Left...You asked previously about the HRDC funded students that went nowhere and forever gave me a bad taste of the whole procedure.

Approx. 8 years ago I watched a student get funding on the R22 for the bulk of the 100hrs. She made quite an impression with the other students who knew her situation. She did not take the course seriously at all. Managed to squeak out a licence and then went on to NOT work in the industry at all. To my knowledge, she did not have a letter promising employment.

The whole thing made me a non believer. That being said, if there was a way to ensure all candidates for 'free' training were going to be fine, hardworking pilots, it would make many happy. Also, who's to say that the HRDC student will pass the flight test and exam?

Over-Talk - Now thats a **** good idea.

I never got EI funding for my training, I never got Mom and Dad funding, I never got won 25 cents in the coin slots at Rama funding for my training. and I'm ok with that. I took a year and worked the Sh(t(*st CSR sales type job, then I left that to spend the summer in lovely Atitkokan Ont. planting trees (you wanna earn money for helicopters? earn it at 9 cents a tree... ) and now I sling avgas in my spare time, some weeks as much as 80 hours a week, on top of flight training every day. AND I WOULDNT DO IT ANY OTHER WAY.

My rugby coach in college use to run us till we puked, till we collapsed, and when you couldnt run anymore, he would say "If it was easy, everyone would do it." We went undefeated and won gold that year, which doesnt have much to do with flying helicopters, but that phrase is in my head every time i try to auto the 300 to a spot, or learn how to toe in to the side of a cliff, or pump lousy stinking jet into some rich SOBs private jet all day for another .3 of helicopter time.

If some guys can get HRDC funding for 50 grand, or 50 bucks. good on ya, maybe when its all said and done youll be able to afford a 206 rating, and I wont, youll buy some time in Peniticon, or whatever. I hope it works out well for you i really do. theres a lot of pilots in Canada, and no two of em have the same story about how they got started.

Personnaly, id rather not get the hand out, If I had wanted a career that was easy, I wouldnt be here.. and sadly enough If I wanted a career that would make me rich I wouldnt be here either, Like some low time pilots out there, (don't worry high timers, we do exist) Im here because I bloody well love flying, and If I dont do this the next 60 years of my life there aint much else worth doing.

I don't think any less of guys who get HRDC funding.. but as a lowely rookie (to be) with 35 hours under my belt, looking at the very real prospect of being unemployed in 6 months, I can honestly say I agree with guys like 412 and Over Talk.

I think thats about the most I've ever written here.. sorry if its a bit dragging on, as always, its only my lowely 1.5 cents.

tDawe