Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

HRDC Funding

N2

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duf ------again.....it depends on what region you are in. In Winnipeg they will say "No, there are no funds for that". If you go and see your MP about why not, you will later get a letter from an EI superior stating that "Yes, there is $2000 available to aide you".

• 1 month later...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: thanks for the help.. the guy at the local (generous) office says there is half of the training $$$ availiable to me, and if I want to ask for more, I will have to jump through some hoops.

Honestly, I will jump through as many hoop as they want for more.

I'm grateful... :up: :up: :up: :up:

Another chunk of $$ that helps out:

When you're finished your training, get the school to write up a tuition tax form. Not sure the exact form name, but they will know what you mean. Then send this to your accountant. Depending on the tax bracket you're in you will get 15% to 40% of your total costs refunded back to you. Being a broke student you'll most likely fall into the 15% range, meaning you'll get about $7500 back come tax season. Then toss that right back to your loan, and the bank will love you. :up:

• 3 months later...

Okey-dokey here we go: I don't agree with public money being used to fund initial pilot training.

By the time I was 18 I had saved up enough money (summer jobs) to get most of my commercial fixed-wing training done (no $$ from mom and dad or the bank), and I continued to work during my training (3 jobs) so that I had enough money to complete the entire course uninterrupted. I then flew for a few years and lived as cheaply as possible in order to accumulate enough cash to do my rotary conversion. Anybody can do it, it just takes hard work.

For those of you who say that you are entitled to this funding because you pay into the Employment Insurance program, I say that you are entitled to the twice monthly check that you recieve while you are laid off from your current job.

I don't mean to sound like an a$$hole, but EI benefits would be better spent funding courses that train people for jobs that are in high demand. If people manage to get their flight training funded by EI, they should have to pay some, if not all, of it back should they not become employed as pilots within five years.