Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Engine out procedure re 206

The first action is certainly NOT to "hit the starter". That is something you do if you have time and space to attempt an air start, but is found nowhere as an immediate action.

Your question seems to be, can the starter become a starter if the Gen is on-line, and the answer is YES.

If you hit the starter button while the gen is on-line, the starter-generator will become a starter. The other thing is, in an engine failure situation, you will quickly see the GEN FAIL warning lamp, as the engine RPM can no longer support a generator.

Im gonna call CTD on this one just to stir the pot. If ya are cruising along and the donky quits why not hit the starter.If your machine is equiped with a relite kit its gonna kick in right friggen now.If its not equiped with one why in **** not hit the starter it just might relight who knows.I dont think any pilot is gonna care about doing an airstart at 500 ft.If you are worried about damaging the engine just from hitting the starter, well the relite will do the same thing.Worry about that crap later.Some 206s do not have gen out lites.Yes its true the starter will work with the gene on.If ya dont have a relite hit the friggen starter and set up for an auto just incase.What ever it takes to get ya home!!!!

CTD was right about not hitting the starter first if the engine quits.The first action should be drop the pole set up for the auto then try the friggen starter if ya dont have a relite it just might work

Should of wrote one of the things you do is hit the starter,but I was sure that the relays kept the starter from engaging.

I haven''t touched a 206 in awhile, but I thought the gen light came on if it went offline,but a turning engine would keep generating until the regulater wasn''t able to to its job.I''ll have to dig my course notes out or write T Mooney at Northern Lights.I heard of a slow starting 500 could be the generator is on at the same time you are starting .

Frenchwrench.Say hello to T.Moony from mini.We used to hang out lots in James Bay in the early 70s working with Trans Quebec.

Mini, your second post is what I had in mind. Fly the aircraft first, and that means paying attention to your auto. Then, by all means hit the starter. However, this decision should be undertaken with caution - I can tell you from experience that the last thing you want to happen is to get the engine back during the final stages of the auto. Makes for an interesting torque event at the bottom.

Yes, for God''s sake, let''s keep flying the aircraft. If we can fit relight actions in without buggering up our auto, like getting too low or too slow, fine, but our first order of business is to get to the best possible landing spot. Then, if there''s time, and room, try a re-light for sure - and it''s a whole bunch more likely, and easy to do, if we started 1K or better above the surface.

Last time I saw Mr.Mooney he was fixin' one of Frontiers 2x5's being driven by Dave Wood.We were working a fire north of Geralton...had a **** of a great time...say hello as well.Anyone know of Dave Wood's wereabout's?9.gif OK so we're of topic again....

Downwash ----- do you mean actually being high enough to have at least 3 places to land in? What a novel idea.

Mini ----- you also tell MR. Mooney hello from his last Base Manger. That''ll open his eyes for sure.