Airline Suspends Mechanics

Mac-Ex-wafu

"The Jazz mechanics who spoke with reporters said they refuse to release planes with defects into service. But they say in many cases their superiors simply find another mechanic to sign the paperwork releasing the plane — or sign it out themselves — to avoid delays. "

the action of Jazz management is unconscionable. :down:

I bent wrenches on commuter airlines in the late 80's and indeed the pressure is extreme to get serviced a/c to the gates but we as mechanics had the integraty to not put a ship on the gate that we weren't willing to fly on ourselves, no matter what or how loud management was screaming.when you have the last signtaure on that book it only went out when it was ready and not before. an a/c was NEVER pencilwhipped to the gate NEVER! :down:

Guest Bullet Remington

If this instance had happened at WestJet the mechanics would have been out the door so fast you would hear their butts suckin wind! :down:

Conley's Law: There is always ONe person in the maintenace department that actually knows what is going on. It is imperative that this person be fired!

This reminds me of Air Georgian Last summer when they found a wheel assembly cracked of their Piper Twin. the manager XX check the assembly after it was apart (About 5 mins after it was dissasembled) ans sent it to be painted. The apprentice that broke the wheel down, was questioning the soundness of the wheel wanted to send it and other wheels for NDT. but XX already had the wheels out to Field for paint. Field Brought the wheels back to be cleaned more when we found that there was a crack on one half that was about 4 inches long.

The Apprentice was fired for missing the crack that he couldn't even see because he just took the wheel apart. He was being rushed that day to clean the floor, break down over twenty wheel assemblys. I Don't think he even got home till after 10 that night.

Hence the reason why I have no trust For XX

When I was at Canadian Pacific Airlines (yars and yars ago), printed at the bottom af all check sheets, snag sheets, etc. was the following statement-- "Never use a pen as a wrench" It didn't seem to help though, even then it was a constant battle with crew chiefs, supervisers, etc oversigning defects we listed. The only company that I have ever worked for (and still do) where there does not seem to be a problem is Canadian Helicopters Limited. I have not once ever had a defect questioned or oversigned Very refreshing! Maybe I have just been lucky. It would be nice to hear any opinions as to whether or not it is the same all though the Canadian Group

• 5 weeks later...
This reminds me of Air Georgian Last summer when they found a wheel assembly cracked of their Piper Twin. the manager XX check the assembly after it was apart (About 5 mins after it was dissasembled) ans sent it to be painted. The apprentice that broke the wheel down, was questioning the soundness of the wheel wanted to send it and other wheels for NDT. but XX already had the wheels out to Field for paint. Field Brought the wheels back to be cleaned more when we found that there was a crack on one half that was about 4 inches long.

The Apprentice was fired for missing the crack that he couldn't even see because he just took the wheel apart. He was being rushed that day to clean the floor, break down over twenty wheel assemblys. I Don't think he even got home till after 10 that night.

Hence the reason why I have no trust For XX

It is about time people were fired for putting safety ahead of profits!!!