Di Your A/c

Does everyone out there take thier D.I. as serious as the new hundred hour pilot? I have noticed including myself to take short cuts, and when something is noticed, (out on the job) we worriedly question if 'it' was there before we rolled out the machine.

Is it just me??(hope not:))

pls comment.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that experiance dictates a lot when I see pilots di'ing their aircraft. They know what the most important things to look at are. I notice on mediums that most pilots will do acheck the oil's type of di and rely on the engineer to do the majority of the di. seen some pilots not even climb on the roof. As an asside how many pilots use a checklist when starting the aircraft?

I think that experiance dictates a lot when I see pilots di'ing their aircraft. They know what the most important things to look at are. I notice on mediums that most pilots will do acheck the oil's type of di and rely on the engineer to do the majority of the di. seen some pilots not even climb on the roof. As an asside how many pilots use a checklist when starting the aircraft?

glad you guys aren't the mechanics! :shock: LOL

Show of hands here...how many pilots have found a 5/16th wrench in the engine pan?

Maybe we should not go down this particular road as it can only lead to worse comments!

DI's are, of course, extremely vital for a pilot to perform. Of course, there will always be the 'guy' who kicks the skids and gets in but I like to think that most of us look carefully at all the important stuff. Aftre all, it's not just you, it's all your passengers too!

Show of hands here......how many AMEs have seen the pilot fire up the aircraft with the blades still tied down?

:shock: :shock:

My favorite story is about the guy who walked out to the ramp and fired up a 76 with the tail rotor removed. fortunately he was stopped before he pulled the pole.

My personal standard is a thorough check of machine and books when taking over from your back to back, a close look first flight of the day and one walk all the way around before each flight to look at the hatches and latches.

Ultimately its your butt that you are looking out for.

Hi All-

Might want to check my post of Jan. 2, 2006. Covers pretty much what you are talking about. I soon realized fom my post then there are some individuals "STILL" around in our industry who consider themselves "Bulletproof" I also realized that there is a lot of absolute professionals out there. My hat is off to you folks! Don't worry Dee-Eye, just continue to do your walkarounds (D.I.) and don't worry about offending anyone! Your prime responsibility is to your passengers, yourself, your family, and your machine. (In that order!)

And once again, lets not start slagging people for forgetting to untie blades, etc. Show me a person who has never made a mistake and I will show you someone who has never worked a day in his life. This forum is designed (I think) to help each other and learn from each other and for us old farts (Cap, 212wrench, and Me, among others), to try to pass on to you the lessons we learned the hard way many, many years ago. Speaking of "Old Farts", How many friends have we lost over the years, (I've given up counting) The sad thing is, is that most of the accidents were preventable!, if only we knew what we know now. Oh ####, I'm rambling again! Time for another Scotch!

Regards

Splitpin

Fly Safe Guys and Gals

My god people. Weren't you paying attention?

Splitpinhead has already blessed us with his words of wisdom on this topic in his post of 02 Jan 06 and there remains absolutely nothing left to say, so stop all this continued blather about Daily Inspections.

Thanks all for your responses. I appreciate his forum. I am new here so I have not read all the past issues already discussed.

This is a niffty site for questions.

So here's another. What makes a good long line pilot a good 'longline pilot'. Other than practising all the safety stuff, Im asking what is the pilot doing in the seat to make him a good 'longline' pilot. What are the tricks. I can't imagine in an Astar, in that lil window, WOW...........

Thanks guys.

I wanna tackle the longline skills.

Have a nice day.