Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Di Your A/c

Yah-Hoo!! Keep the posts coming folks. Reddog should be over the edge by now.

Nah, this is all pretty tame and boring. Not much to comment on. Actually the whole site has been pretty boring the last few months. What ever happened to 1 of 7? Now that was entertaining stuff.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, this is all pretty tame and boring. Not much to comment on. Actually the whole site has been pretty boring the last few months. What ever happened to 1 of 7? Now that was entertaining stuff.

You are under observation.

Your technology will be assimilated

Your companies will be assimilated.

You WILL become one...................with the Borg.

Not all of course. Some won't make the cut. You dont want to take a Cube across the sector without a decent D.I.

We might be weird and unpleasant but we do have our standards.

You are under observation.

Your technology will be assimilated

Your companies will be assimilated.

You WILL become one...................with the Borg.

Not all of course. Some won't make the cut. You dont want to take a Cube across the sector without a decent D.I.

We might be weird and unpleasant but we do have our standards.

Hmmm.......must be the end result of Trekkies that inbreed. :rolleyes:

I know an old timer who will never start the aircraft with the blades tied down, because although havin the blades at 10 o'clock or whatever will not mean the tiedown is still attached, (know of an aircraft that after a briefing the pilot did the start with the tiedown attached) he before he hits the starter (212) he physically touches the tiedown that is under his seat or hanging on the post beside him. Good habits are hard to teach. Myself, if I am there I will always look at the end of each blade for the tiedown before I give the pilot the ok to sart. Blades at 3 and 9 oclock work good on a 206 because the driver can see both blade tips. Not so good on the 212.

ill open a new can of worms for the pilots readin this post....how bout long lines .....i know ive had a few "almosts" i started wrapping the long line around the cyclic in the 500 when ever i shut down briefly. our company had a pilot liftoff in the oilpatch years ago in a r44....longline still on...he was going so fast by the time it hit its 150ft length, it ripped the hook out of the belly.(the other end became snagged on a pipe line.)

an someone mentioned the s76 without a tailroter....it actually wasnt started but the captain was about to hit the starter. as for the blades being tied down....in the 212 i try to tie to the skid on my side after my fist flight of the day, you cant get in without tripping over it. im sure others have their little tricks, an id love to hear them if i can apply it to my routine or D.I.

not only will it save someone from having to buy all the boys a few rounds at the pub that night so they quit teasin him....but even better...it might just prevent an incident or accident.

ill open a new can of worms for the pilots readin this post....how bout long lines .....i know ive had a few "almosts" i started wrapping the long line around the cyclic in the 500 when ever i shut down briefly.

Last time I was longlining we were using 3/4" steel counterwound cable. Pretty hard to wrap that around the cyclic, plus the engineeroids would have a bird watching you break all the guages in the cockpit trying to do it.

ill open a new can of worms for the pilots readin this post....how bout long lines .....i know ive had a few "almosts" i started wrapping the long line around the cyclic in the 500 when ever i shut down briefly. our company had a pilot liftoff in the oilpatch years ago in a r44....longline still on...he was going so fast by the time it hit its 150ft length, it ripped the hook out of the belly.(the other end became snagged on a pipe line.)

an someone mentioned the s76 without a tailroter....it actually wasnt started but the captain was about to hit the starter. as for the blades being tied down....in the 212 i try to tie to the skid on my side after my fist flight of the day, you cant get in without tripping over it. im sure others have their little tricks, an id love to hear them if i can apply it to my routine or D.I.

not only will it save someone from having to buy all the boys a few rounds at the pub that night so they quit teasin him....but even better...it might just prevent an incident or accident.

A couple of 'tricks' I seen good pilots do over the years.....

One puts a glove over the cyclic grip when blades are tied down....and also seen the blades tied to the fwd right skid-tube....good idea.

I also recently worked with a driver that recorded the readings on all critical guages while in cruise, put them on a sticky-note on the panel....that way he could do a scan, and compare the current numbers to those he recorded on his first flight on the machine he just took over....brilliant! it helps him, and it helps me too. Can you spell TREND?

I have to agree with Dee Eye, about pilots doing a more-than-casual walk around. Seen too many that put too much trust in their engineer who most likely worked all **** night...Get your hung-over ***** up on the roof! Same goes for the engineers...before heading back to the hotel at 3 AM, do a tool/FOD inventory.

Ask the engineer that had to replace a tail-rotor and a M/R blade because the pilot missed a stray wrench laying where it shouldn't have been....fatigue begets mistakes. Engineers don't have a duty-day. We are all human. Mistakes will be made by all of us....it's a teamwork occupation. We need to realize that we have to cover each other's butts...its not about laying blame. It's about putting a safe aircraft into the sky.

And yes, its great we have this forum to help each other avoid mistakes by sharing the tips and tricks that others have learned by our own mistakes and hard lessons learned. It's a resource beyond any measurable value.