Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Morris Chirka

YYB Pilot

Has anyone been reading all the aviation monthly publicaitons that we have in this country.

Wings, Aviation Canada, COPA, Aviator, etc...

I keep seeing an add for this one guy "Morris Chirka" looking for a job, a low timer expressing his skills as far more superior than that of a Airline pilot for Air Canada for instance.

Look at what his resume says:

"To obtain an entry-level position in the aviation industry to utilize my training as a commercial pilot. Excellent spatial perception and motor coordination. Noted for superior situational awareness. Calm under pressure. Ability to set priorities logically. Resourceful problem solver. Deliver results not excuses. Versatile trouble-shooter. Bring in-depth technical knowledge. Hands-on experience. Perform against tight deadlines. An action and persistent person. Hard-working achiever. Work well alone or as part of a team. ¨ Commercial Pilot License with multi engine ratings, and Mountain rating"

What employer is gonna believe half of this kinda qualities. I wish every pilot I knew where this lucky. As far as anyone I have talked to that has gotten annoyed with these ad''s is concerned he is a rich boy spending all his money to get a job. But annoyance!! Like Stop now, and go visit employers for a job but dont hand them B.S. skills and qualities on a "High End C.V."

Got to hand it to him however, very resourcful and hard driven for a low paying job!

Hopefully a employer doesn''t hire him and finds out half the stuff he has quoted isn''t true and marks himslef up with numerous negative oriented references.

Good Luck Morris, but Do what every other pilot does. Go the old fashioned way.. Will you work for food?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wait a minute, this guy just described all we pilots are, verbalized them using text, but i must agree, u do not talk like this amongst aviators cause all he is doing is setting himself for a severe adulter-rated shafting session, pardon the pun, but i must agree, total bullshit in the eyes of an employeer. if such employeer''s need to be reminded of our hard earned skills, well i do not need to be working for them. employeers need to see more, the skills earned beyond the stuff you read in books, that is what experience ia all about. somebody needs to give morris a reality check. tell him that he can''t start drinking with the big boys till he pays he''s dues!!!!!!!!!!

He found a way to highlight the skills he has, as well as attempt to downplay the fact that he has no experience. Ya it comes across as dorky and a bit egotistical but hey give the guy credit. When you have 200.1 hrs its hard to make a resume that doesn''t look more than a bit lame. "Excellent spatial perception" I gotta take issue with that though dude. Does that mean you can find the gear handle in the dark? ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I think his biggest misfortune is getting advice on writeing resumes/marketing oneself from people who do not know or understand the aviation industry. It is not unlike the technique used for those who look for employment, say, in sales. Found another ad like this:

Services

Versatile Com, Multi pilot w/ various type ratings.

Description:

To obtain an entry-level position in the aviation industry to utilize my training as a commercial pilot. Excellent spatial perception and motor coordination. Noted for superior situational awareness. Calm under pressure. Ability to set priorities logically. Resourceful problem solver. Deliver results not excuses. Versatile trouble-shooter. Bring in-depth technical knowledge. Hands-on experience. Perform against tight deadlines. An action and persistent person. Hard-working achiever. Work well alone or as part of a team. ¨ Commercial Pilot License with multi engine ratings, and Mountain rating. ¨ Training and experience with the following aircraft: - C-152 - MARK 20 - C-172 - Be-76 - C-172RG - 7ECA - PA-28 - Mooney Mark 2 ¨ Contact Nav Canada for current enroute weather report. ¨ Prepare flight plans and institute fuel calculations. ¨ Perform preflight checks. ¨ Night rated, Sim time on Fresca 242 and Elite Level 2 6.1

Phone: (780)405-XXXX Cell or (780)483XXXX Home

Email: Reply to this ad Location: Out Side US

While his description is somewhat fanciful, it loses complete credibility when he makes mention of holding a "Mountain Rating" and "various type ratings." And finally, although much much is written but little is said, completely lacking is any mention of flight times, which again loses credibility since it appears he is trying to hide the fact that he is low time. Nevertheless, I wish him luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know who this Morris fellow is, but I sort of lost intrest after reading the first sentance of that resume of his. Who ever wrote that dose not have a clue. No chief Pilot is going to read all of that, they will scan a resume and put the ones that look interesting in one pile to consider further and the others, well they go into that round file cabinet.

Try starting with your Name, then Objective, Certification, Flight times types of aircraft flown, some work history and some personal junk like I can answer a phone, and work a broom. That sort of stuff. I'm just using the broom as an example. Keep it to one page, and make sure your contact numbers and e-mail work. To stand out from the rest, most people myself included use plan printer paper, use a good bonded resume paper. Something that looks good and feels good. That will stand out in the pile.

I am not sure what happened to his post but the forums did have an error the other night. Usually when this happens, there is one or two posts that might go missing. No posts have been removed from here at all so if one is missing, I would say the above is the reason.