Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Float Training in B.C.

neolynx

ya the best plce to go is Air Hart.. i did the course there and it was a blast. plus i did my CPL there to. they have a 172 hawk XP, and a 180. and they are right in kelown best place to go for traing as they have lost of lake right by and high alt. training to....

www.air-hart.com

• 2 weeks later...

Air hart and Parallel both sound really good, but if you're looking for something closer to Vancouver try Fort Langley air service. They have a really nice C-180 for $200/hour solo, and they were talking about getting a Super Cub.

Near Victoria there is Stewart Air. They have a Champ for $125/hour solo. And Cooper Air does training on a C-185 for $358 and the Beaver for $450, but they don't let you solo.

Prices may have changed since I checked. Let us know what you do.

Max

Why is solo required for a float rating?

How come you do not have to solo before being issued a multi engine rating?

How come you do not have to solo before being issued an IFR rating?

The requirement for solo for the float rating should be done away with and a check ride be required before the rating is issued.

Then the cost of training would be decreased due to lower insurance rates.

Going solo has no real benefit until the rating is issued.......

Chas. W.

Courtenay flight center also does Float training in the winter months. In the Summer, their instructor is flying full time somewhere. They use a C180 that rents for $230Hr. Instructor is around $45/hr I think.

Course is good. Solo time is real solo. No instructor pushing his chair back and saying 'your PIC now'.

Wahunga!

I am not sure if/whay it was needed. It was nice to be able to take the float plane out on my own, without an instructor there. Went fishing with friends, took my wife out to dinner to a couple towns on the water. Things like that.

Wahunga!

• 3 weeks later...

The reason you go solo to get you float rating is that.

1. Multi engine you require a flight test (same a private)

2. IFR you require a flight test (same a private)

so to sum up a float rating doesn't have a flight test attached to it. if the instructor thinks you are ready to go you go and get it just like a night rating.... same idea

:up:

:shock:

imfsub12:

Ok, thanks for the info.

But why do you have to do five take off and landings? Is there some reason for five, rather than one?

Another question regarding Bush Pilot training programmes, would it not be better to have the whole fifty hours dual?

When you are solo do you learn as much as when you have the teacher with you?

I am just courious as to how these courses came to be structured the way they are sold.

Chas W.

imfsub12:

Ok, thanks for the info.

But why do you have to do five take off and landings? Is there some reason for five, rather than one?

Another question regarding Bush Pilot training programmes, would it not be better to have the whole fifty hours dual?

When you are solo do you learn as much as when you have the teacher with you?

I am just courious as to how these courses came to be structured the way they are sold.

Chas W.

for float its 5 take off and landing solo occupent.

I did my traing at airhart in kelowna, it was 25 hours dual then 25 hours solo. I think its a must to go solo as if you have your instructor on board, if you do something wrong you will make sure he will correct you. so if you go solo yes you can make an error but sometimes it the only way to learn and to get profeciant without a instructor aboard. as you will have to concentrate more solo. trus me you learn alot solo. and you even scare the shi## out of yourself, but damm it fun.

call up airhart and ask for there your concerns.

:up:

have fun and keep the floats right side up.