Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Camps

Ok guys....I want to hear some stories about camps?

I have been in a few this year and I tell you the standard has been very poor!

How many times do you turn up for supper and they have run out of something, or you go to bed cold and wake up sweating..What happened to a' `Climate controlled enviroment"..??

Anyway lets share some good and not so good.

Cheers,

OB

"Old bull".... "OLD" Bull??? You are either not "old" or you have not been in this industry for long!!!

Ever been in a NON-insulated tent with 3 pilots in the arctic for a month?

Ever gone in with an IA crew in the territories with a PUP tent cooking steaks over a fire with a shovle for 5 days?

Even in the Oil patch the camps are better than they were 10 years ago!!!

If you want hotes with climate control, apply at Helijet.

Helipinch,

My old boss said to me years ago 'You know the best thing about the old days.....is that they are gone!'

Wasnt really looking to complain just looking for stories, and I have had my fair share of sleeping outside and cooking for my self!

I can't complain. I'm in James Bay at the Eastmain-1 camp. Good accommodations, great food, gym, arena, bowling, bar, high speed internet, beach... Oh yeah, bush pay too... :punk:

Now if only things could pick up and we'd get some flying in... :mellow:

Correct me if I'm off base but I think that the bush-camp days of old are fewer and farther between. Only once in the last year have I stayed in an uninsulated prospector, dirt floor and airtight stove in March, while cooking for yourself and sleeping with your battery. Most of my camps have had an excellent cook, usually with satellite TV and internet. Out in the patch we may even have full digital cell coverage via booster in camp. Not too hard to take....even a decade ago was a totally different story.

One of my most memorable camp stays was in Prophet River, not a bad camp unless you were in my trailer........... When you flushed the toilet the sewage just ran straight out of the back of the building ( right under my bedroom window...Yummy) You had to keep everything shut real tight just to keep the mice out. I was woken up by mice in my bed! I am sure there were some health violations going on there! And that was an "executive" trailer (two rooms two bathrooms)

Climate controlled environment????

every camp I have been in is climate controlled....my mother nature. She airconditions it when she needs to, heats it when she needs to. I'd be extremely selfish to think that she should adjust the climate to suit me when all those tree's plants and small critters rely on the cycle to survive.

One of the worst camps I was ever in had no toilet facilites, pup tents, very windy location, it wasn't uncommon to wake up in the middle of the night, tent collapsed around you, wrapped up in nylon like a vacuum packed burrito. They decided to "roast" a turkey on a coleman stove for a meal (can you say lightly warmed raw meat?)....we ate beautifully aged muskox (aged about 67 minutes since slaughter by some crazed Inuit with a gun, nearly shooting the pilot and I in the process. It was not fun by any means, but an experience to remember (glorious polar shelf work at it's finest)

Ten years ago my butt,my last vfr job was in 2000. Spent 35 days in the bush living out of a tent, ate out of a tent, when you needed a bath you bathed in the creek, hauled everything in by helicopter, 50 tree planters and all there gear, think we did 1.5 million trees that job. Maggy can remember hey. Makes you appreciate a nice camp. You new guys have it pretty good in some of the oil and gas camps. Ah but I wouldn't have passed it up for anything. Makes me appreciate flying ems and being home everyday.

SOB

post-494-1151255889_thumb.gif