Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Uncontrolled Airports

Hi Everyone,

I have a fixed wing license, and hoping to get my CPL(H) sometime in the next year. Meantime I was browsing the helicopter operations theory to see the differences, and I had a question I was hoping one of the old hands might help me with.

I understand the procedures for fixed wing operations at uncontrolled airports, but was unsure of the official procedures for helicopter operations at uncontrolled airports.

Arriving fixed wing aircraft have strict rules regarding the number of circuit segments they need to fly at uncontrolled airports. They must join the circuit downwind, and fly the downwind, base, and final. This, together with the associated traffic radio calls, maximises chance of spotting conflicting traffic (in theory).

Am I right in thinking that helicopters can legally fly direct to the apron of an uncontrolled airport -- presumably monitoring the radio, keeping clear of fixed wing aircraft in the circuit, and broadcasting intentions on the traffic frequency.

Thanks for any help on this!

Jane

Check over your AIM, this document will tell you precisley the requirements for an un controlled airdrome.
Hi T-Rex,

Thanks for the reply. Of course I checked the AIM first. Unless I am missing a section, it does not explicity exempt a helicopter from flying the circuit.

AIM RAC 4.5.2 says "The following procedures apply to all aircraft ...", and then goes on to describe the uncontrolled airport circuit procedure. Read as it is, this implies helicopters must fly the standard circuit procedure (just like fixed wing) at uncontrolled airports. No exemption is mentioned (apart from a/c flying a standard instrument approach).

RAC 4.5.3 covers "Helicopter Operations" at uncontrolled airports, but only covers air taxiing/low flying over runways and taxiways, and avoiding blowing dust/gravel. It doesn't explicitly grant a waiver of 4.5.2.

Nowhere does it apparently say that it's OK for a helicopter to nip under the (fixed wing) circuit at 500', and head direct to the apron.

You can see why this poor newbie is confused :blink:

Jane B)

Jane,

Here is my take on the matter

AIM RAC 4.5.2 says "The following procedures apply to all aircraft ...", and then goes on to describe the uncontrolled airport circuit procedure.

You are correct in the sense that all the procedures in the AIM apply to all aircraft.

Read as it is, this implies helicopters must fly the standard circuit procedure (just like fixed wing) at uncontrolled airports. No exemption is mentioned (apart from a/c flying a standard instrument approach). .

Nowhere does it imply that helicopters MUST fly the standard circuit procedure at uncontrolled airports, in fact, does it say that any of the procedures shall be followed by any aircraft? I refer you to the definitions of terms used by Transport Canada. There are differences between the terms; shall, should, must, may, required, and reccomended, they all have different meanings and you must pay attention to semantics when interpreting Transport documents. Most of the section is worded with 'should', this is not a requirement, if it was, it would say 'shall'. Re-read the section with this in mind and it may become a little less strict. I am not saying that you can throw the whole section out the window, not follow any of the procedures and just do whatever circuit you want, they are in place for a reason and should be followed. This is where the the term 'professional' in professional pilot comes into play.

Nowhere does it apparently say that it's OK for a helicopter to nip under the (fixed wing) circuit at 500', and head direct to the apron.

You are correct, nowhere in the current AIM does it say you can do this, however nowhere does it say that you can't (I know bad answer :oops: ). But, I have seen it published in the past that the standard Airplane circuit elevation is 1000' and the standard Helicopter circuit elevation is 500'. I believe it was in the AIP? Mine has since disappeared and I can't find a reference for it, maybe someone else can find this reference?

Good question, and welcome to the forum.

Fish

I guess helicopters do have to fly a modified, abbreviated circuit. We just don't need to make as many turns as a fixed wing pilot does. Consider it a straight-in approach with a turn on short final if needed.

If looked at in this way, all the same rules apply to helicopters as they do to fixed-wingers... advise your intentions and keep your eyes peeled for anything else in the sky, yielding right-of-way when needed. There also is no need for a helicopter to base it's circuit on the runway's location, since we ain't landing there anyways. Our circuit is based on where we'll be touching down combined with wind direction, which will place our circuit way out of whack with an airplane's circuit, thus we fly our's at a lower altitude so no one is cutting anybody off.

Clear as mud. ;)

Welcome Jane,

While I was looking up my references, Fish has given you the answer. I agree with him, it is in the semantics of shall , required , & must vs. should, recommended, & may. A careful re-read of the applicable AIM sections with those criteria in mind should make it clear the few parts you must comply with. :D

You are correct in thinking that helicopters can legally fly direct to the apron of an uncontrolled airport -- monitoring the radio, keeping clear of fixed wing aircraft in the circuit, and broadcasting intentions on the traffic frequency.

The U.S. FARs are a little more helpful in acknowledging the different operating requirements of helicopters vs. confined-wing aircraft. FAR 91.126(b )(2) says, "Each pilot of a helicopter or a powered parachute must avoid the flow of fixed-wing aircraft." I thought we had an equivalent statement in the CARs somewhere in 601 or 602, but I'm not seeing any.

Hope that helps. Good luck in your quest to liberate your wings! ;)

Before you land at an uncontrolled airport, check your CFS. Many uncontrolled airports have specific procedures for helicopters. Personally, if I don't see anyting specific for helicopters in the CFS, I'll follow plank circuit procedures, but on final I'll go parallel to the active on the side closest to the ramp. Plank drivers appreciate when we don't tie up their blacktop. Often when there's a Unicom, they'll "suggest" a route. Of course, common sense prevails at all times...