Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

L3 Vs Ba

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

L3 has more snags ???? Really??

I see them as extremely reliable, and virtually NO unscheduled maintenance ever.

My past experience with BA's.....(OK, old BA's) seemed to be broke down every second day.

But to answer your intital question, A BA should lift more and fly faster than an L3 .... unless you're high or hot that is.

I have had the experience to fly both these machines in similar conditions and would take the Astar over the L3 any day. The BA will lift more, fly faster, and is more comfortable than the L3. As far as operating costs go the Astar is probably higher, and this is most likely why the tariff is higher. I'm not certain if the purchase price of either machine would have much to do with the tarrif rates.

• 2 weeks later...

The cost of overhauls on the L3 is higher.

Transmission has a 1750 inspection, plus a 3500 o/h.

The BA just has the 3000 o/h.

Turbine has a mid-life inspection, plus a 3500 o/h.

Arriel has just a 3000 o/h.

FCU, Gov, Fuel pump are o/h individually on the Bell.

All in one for the BA. (Total cost is lower.)

Head is 1200hrs or 24 months.

4000 hrs on BA.

An L3 should be able to outlift a BA.

2200lb empty with 630hp for the Bell, vs

2700lb empty with 680hp for the BA

The cost of overhauls on the L3 is higher.

Transmission has a 1750 inspection, plus a 3500 o/h.

The BA just has the 3000 o/h.

Turbine has a mid-life inspection, plus a 3500 o/h.

Arriel has just a 3000 o/h.

FCU, Gov, Fuel pump are o/h individually on the Bell.

All in one for the BA. (Total cost is lower.)

Head is 1200hrs or 24 months.

4000 hrs on BA.

An L3 should be able to outlift a BA.

2200lb empty with 630hp for the Bell, vs

2700lb empty with 680hp for the BA

Just thought I'd add a few corrections for your L3 stats

-The XMSN o/h life is 4500 with inspection at 1500 or 2250 depending on dash # and type of oil used (555 = 2250)

-The turbine o/h life is 2000 with 3 & 4 wheels lifed at 4550

-The head has a 2400 o/h life with a 1200 inspection

-More realistic empty weight for an L3 is 2500 lbs.

I've never heard anyone say a Arriel is cheaper to run than a C30 but I guess it could be but a C30 is pretty reasonable cost wise for 650 ponies.

ray, risking certain folks claiming am know it all and full of crap, i would like to comment on a few things.

The BA tranny is good for 3500 hours if have the long chip detector. Empty weight of L3 is notusually so light, usually around 2450 to 2550 while BA's can be 2700 lb some are quite heavy as much 2850.

And although the engine on L3 is able to produce 650 hp the transmission is only able to take 465 hp while the BA engine is able to produce 641 hp the transmission can take 565 hp. Thus the BA can quite easily outlift the L3 but since the L3 has such a huge power reserve it is able to outwork the BA at the higher altitudes.

sc