Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Whats the worst thing about the Helicopter Industry.

After the past couple of days I have to say the worst thing about this industry is going to funerals to say goodbye to friends.

Writing this, my thoughts are about Randy Harmon who was killed in the Kmax crash on Saturday. This part of the industry sucks big time. Unfortunately its a very real part of this industry that we all love and enjoy and is a part of our everyday lives. I met Randy in Taiwan where they had the Kmax. Larger than life, always outgoing, and typical of the good guys of the industry. He was married to his childhood sweetheart, and they have been married for twenty five years with two kids.

Heading off to Oregon later this week for Randys funeral. To those I know and have met in person, take care and safe flying. To those I havent met, the same goes to you as well. Lifes so short, make the most of it and if you have kids, give them a hug before you hit the sack tonight.

Neville - Heli Ops

Guest Bullet Remington

Heli Ops:

I think the sediments stated by Deuce in a prior thread, reflects the over all feelings of those involved in this business.  Ya know, Spending half of ya life eating and working about the people that ya care most about, and care most about you...

I don't believe I could state any thing worst about this crazy business than what you've stated above.

From an engineer stand point, it is most troubling when we lose someone. Don't matter the cause, we always wonder if we could have done something a lttle better, tweaked it a bit more, gave the driver a heads up on something, the list goes on....

Most wrench benders will tell ya they could do without the driver. But the love/hate relationship is most binding. Mechs care, we just don't like to show it. We can pretty well fix anything on the machine, if we have the resources and time to do it. And we're good at it. It's the dangedest thing though... we can't fix a driver. And that a crying shame.

Well... at least that's what some of the wrench benders tell me anyway.

Burying a friend or a driver is never easy. Never will be.

My condolences on the loss of "our" friend.

It;s a crazy business guys and gals, be careful out there!I'd really appreciate nothing but good news from now on!

And don't dent or damage the mechs machine!

In some 44 years of flying, I've been saddened by the passage of many friends, and it's certainly one of the ugliest experiences in our industry.

However, my absolutely worst experience was having my kids grow up without really getting to know them. It's something you have to be there for - it just can't be communicated. I am getting to know two of them now, but our third, lost to a vicious disease, I was only beginning to know when he was gone.

Believe me, if I'd known what it was all going to mean, I'd have done it differently. 5.gif

Guest Bullet Remington

DW:

True, very true.

I have a 26 year old, she lives in Florida now. We talk via the computer. Learn more about her and myself now, then when she was home growing up.

I have a 5 year old also, he chose me when he was 6 months old. Having and being around kids is great. They teach us more then we could possibly teach them!

----------------

On 7/26/2003 10:01:34 PM Heli Ops wrote:

After the past couple of days I have to say the worst thing about this industry is going to funerals to say goodbye to friends.

Writing this, my thoughts are about Randy Harmon who was killed in the Kmax crash on Saturday. This part of the industry sucks big time. Unfortunately its a very real part of this industry that we all love and enjoy and is a part of our everyday lives. I met Randy in Taiwan where they had the Kmax. Larger than life, always outgoing, and typical of the good guys of the industry. He was married to his childhood sweetheart, and they have been married for twenty five years with two kids.

Heading off to Oregon later this week for Randys funeral. To those I know and have met in person, take care and safe flying. To those I havent met, the same goes to you as well. Lifes so short, make the most of it and if you have kids, give them a hug before you hit the sack tonight.

Neville - Heli Ops

----------------

I didn't make it to all the funeral's, but here is some of the people I remember from some of the companies I've worked with and some from the Navy, who got out.

Navy; Jack Runcinman, Jack Beeman, John McNeil and Fitzpatrick and Fred Lucas.

Spartan;"Doc" Demerah,"Shorty" Ferguson, Mat Gordon, etc.

Autair; Pierre Looten,Pierre Babusso,Jim Masse, Emile Lupien, Harvey Easton, Chris Brignaud, etc.

Viking; Larry Camphaug, John Kowalski, Dave Johns, Venturi's brother in law, etc.

Canadian Helicopters, Lac St. Jean, SeptIsles Helicopters, Dom Peg, Universal Helicopters, these companies were all owned by Okie;

Mike Maguire is the only one I can remember from that time.

Most of these people migrated to other companies, but that is were I met them.

MAY THEY REST IN PEACE.

• 3 weeks later...