Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Cougar Incident

On Prune there was a report of the Cougar 92 having to RTB after a chip light on # 2 input module followed by a chip light on #1 input module. My question , after the first light they put engine to idle . when they had a light on the second input would they have been safer to restore the power on engine # 2 so that the inputs were sharing the power ?.

thats a good question Widgeon, I'd like to see the answer to that. Maybe they have an SOP for it, maybe not.

to me, torque is torque, but if you can share some of that torque (not totally familiar with the S92 drivetrain) it would make sense to some degree.

At least it wasn't a military ship bound by some retarded SOP, which likely would have ended up as a ditching with-in sight of land.

I,m have no time on the S-92, but am familiar with twins.

Reducing power on the #2 engine is a standard response to a chip light on that side, and a RTB.

With a chip light coming on on the #1 side now, the reason for returning power to the #2 side would be reduce making a bad day worse, should your #1 engine event escalate, while your #2 side is at idle.

So, both engines are now at full power, and should one engine need to be shut down, no drama,procede with engine shut down on that side, and pray the other side holds it own, even though it still has a chip light.

So, to answer your question, yes it would be safer to return power to both sides, but, because it is now the lesser of the two evils.

Hope I helped.