Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Sub-sahara

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a friend recently sent me an e-mail from Nigeria stating that for the first time ever, he had to ground an a/c during his pre-flight due to a number of BULLET HOLES found on the a/c :blink:

not to mention that i know of at least 5 pilots that contracted malaria while there!

the place is a cesspool!

Heard some nasty stories from those parts too:

A crew are returning from a rig and one guy has to take the mother of all pisses... can't hold it all the way back to base. So they land on a beach and he hops out while the other pilot holds the controls of the machine. Suddenly a group of locals burst from the tree line and rush the helicopter. The pilot, now done with his business, throw all money in his pockets into the wind. All but one of the locals start running around chasing the blowing cash. The one that doesn't runs up to the door as the pilot jumps in and buries a machete into the pilots shoulder.

They lift off and make it back and the injured pilot survived. Be carefull out there if you take the job!

the guy musta been a rookie :P

in the phillipines, it was a 220nm leg to the rig. more than one pilot reached under the seat for the empty water bottle :P

cuz we sure as s#*t were not landing anywhere in between cuz it was ALL rebel territory or water......., shark and pirate infested waters :shock:

In Nigeria, Africa's most populous country, President Olusegun Obasanjo has expressed interest in seeking a third term in 2007, a move that would require a constitutional amendment. Members of the Nigerian National Assembly have expressed dismay at this possibility. Nigeria remains a key partner for the U.S. in Africa, and its internal challenges (poverty, ethnic and religious violence, HIV/AIDS, environmental issues) must be confronted as part of its ongoing democratic transition.

Just out of curiosity, which country's 2007 election might you "wait on for reassessment" for possibly working in Nigeria?

(I just found your statement curious and absolutely nothing more. I have no intention WHATSOEVER of getting into any geo-political debate here. :) NONE!)

Also got a buddy flying in Burma (I think) right now. So far his biggest complaint is getting stuck a company truck by a King Cobra outside looking to pick a fight with him. He tried to be nice to the snake, but the snake wouldn't have it.

The snake then lost the battle against the truck's tires. :lol:

Heard some nasty stories from those parts too:

A crew are returning from a rig and one guy has to take the mother of all pisses... can't hold it all the way back to base. So they land on a beach and he hops out while the other pilot holds the controls of the machine. Suddenly a group of locals burst from the tree line and rush the helicopter. The pilot, now done with his business, throw all money in his pockets into the wind. All but one of the locals start running around chasing the blowing cash. The one that doesn't runs up to the door as the pilot jumps in and buries a machete into the pilots shoulder.

They lift off and make it back and the injured pilot survived. Be carefull out there if you take the job!

That sounds like a Somalia story from twelve years ago.

Nigeria's.

As I suspected. I think you are a very wise person, despite how lucrative the pay might be. :) Then again, I don't know a d*mn thing! :prop:

Also got a buddy flying in Burma (I think) right now. So far his biggest complaint is getting stuck a company truck by a King Cobra outside looking to pick a fight with him. He tried to be nice to the snake, but the snake wouldn't have it. The snake then lost the battle against the truck's tires. :lol:

Small world. I, too, know someone flying Burma right now. The snakes are the first thing I will ask about. :D Eeeccckkk!