Jump to content

Looking For Info On Faa Licence


Recommended Posts

Looking to work outside of Canada for the winter months. Thinking of getting FAA licence and looking in the U.S. Just wondering if anyone has any ifo on this. With the new security is it possible to get a work visa anymore? Are there any other options? I have about 2500hrs PIC and looking for any kind of work.




Link to comment
Share on other sites

The hardest part is being legal to work in the US. Work permits are becoming harder to get. Usually you have to work for a company that works on both sides of the border for a year, then they can apply for a work permit which is good for somewhere between 1-5 years. Unless you have direct family in the US this is about the only way to get a permit.


To get an FAA license you have to do an FAA background check that takes about 6 weeks to get back, one written exam, a flight test (you must fly at least 3 hours with a US instructor prior) and get issued a private US license which is done just by presenting your commercial Canadian license to an FAA office. Chinook Helicopters in Abbotsford does US licenses and they have an FAA examiner that comes up for the check ride. Hope this answers some of you questions. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...