Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

To Be A Pilot - Yes Or No?

wannabee

As a 52 year old established businessman, I am enthralled with the idea of following my lifelong dream. I acheived my fixed wing PPL at a younger age, and now want to invest into a Commercial Helicopter License. At this age, married to a woman established in her career, is this advisable? Could I honestly expect that all important first job, and 'ramp up my hours' quickly to make a living at it?

As a 52 year old established businessman, I am enthralled with the idea of following my lifelong dream. I acheived my fixed wing PPL at a younger age, and now want to invest into a Commercial Helicopter License. At this age, married to a woman established in her career, is this advisable? Could I honestly expect that all important first job, and 'ramp up my hours' quickly to make a living at it?

Live the dream?????

Have to admit WB, it would be an uphill battle given your age to start. It has always been a tough industry to break into, and requires a large amount of patience and perseverence, but if you are financially set, it would help wearher the storm.

Hours, as a low time pilot usually come slowly at first, expect to serve another three or four years as an "apprentice".

How about a direction within the industry? IFR? VFR? West coast? East coast? Arctic? Overseas? Base position? Many, many directions one can go within this industry.......a big challenge yes, but impossible, no.......depends on how bad you want it........ ;)

Good luck in your quest...... :up:

I have said it before and in my humble opinion your situation fits it to a tee....spend your money on a float rating and a nice little floatplane....and be home every night with that well established wife.

As helilog said, anything is possible, but honestly it might be seen as a little late to get into the game, and while your financial stability will help during the lean period, (and there will be a lean period) you might also end up asking yourself if it was all worth it making relatively little money waiting in some swamp for a customer.

if you decide to go the helicopter route even for fun rather than career, (not sure how deep those pockets go???) make sure to do the commercial...you get the tax deduction for the full amount, and a little easier insurance wise if you decide to buy yourself a machine.

It would be interesting to hear from some of the higher ups....as in those who hire, as to their opinion of a 50+ year old lowtimer....

Either way, all the best in your decision....

Well, I think H56 summed it up pretty good.

I also think its going to be difficult for you to work for most employers , only because your life experience will have you pulling your hair out. It will be only a matter of time before your sentences start with " listen here young fella".

I personally am considering a fixed wing with float rating in the next 10 years so I can keep flying with as little stress possible.

Then again you are only as old as you feel!~ :punk: - damm my neck hurts :(

Good luck

H

if i was a 52 yr old established (read as financially ok) business man with my PPL already i would buy an airplane and just fly around with the missus.........

if you are into fishing? a nice amphib. like skiing? maybe a P210 to get you to Vail...

like the beach? if those pockets have some depth, maybe a piper meridian to get you down to the caribbean........

slappin' bugs in a bush camp in northern Alberta would not be at the head of my list.............

if you really want a helicopter, i trained an fellow much like yourself who ended buying his own 300CBi and now is having a blast flying around northern BC......

my 8 pesos worth........

Great question to ask, I know 2 or 3 peolpe in your situation down here in the OK, one bought himself a beaver2 and is having a riot with it. one decided on a money bravo with G1000 glass cockpit... WOW

and one followed his dream, he did his license (would be nice to find out where... he mentioned Kootney valley but im not sure)

they are all happy now (to my knowledge) and im sure your wife will back you no matter what you decide.

Cheers, itll be interesting to see how this goes.

Cole B)