HUET Training

sfc

412 Drivers right (gotta love that flying suit). Save your coin. Your employer will send you on the course if you will need it.

However, if you really have to do it, it really is a good course especially for non-swimmers. It''s hard to explain the disorientation experienced when you are flipped upside down in the water, your sinuses fill up with water and you have find that **** door handle.

On another note. Don''t worry about the helicopter when the #### hits the rotor. Your only concern is getting your *** on the ground in as close to one peice as you can manage and if you have any pax, if you make it, they should make it also. If the machine comes out of it still looking vaguely like a helicopter that''s a bonus. Don''t forget it''s insured and they can buy another (or pay down their debt). You are also insured but the last time I checked the Helidog Cloning Plant hasn''t opened yet.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What sfc hasn''t shared, guys, is that he''s been there (in the drink) and with a load of pax.

While you''re mostly on the mark, 412, there ARE plenty of tree-surrounded lakes with little or no beach, and water sure seems like the better option then.

Although nothing takes the place of comprehensive real-time training, sfc, there is excellent printed, eye-opening info on the subject available. PM me if you''re interested.

• 2 weeks later...

I just did the training for the first time last week and found it to be a real eye opener. Under water, upside down in a simulated cockpit is not a fun thing. All this is done in a nice warm(29C) pool. Where I have been bombin around fat dumb and happy the water is 8-10C. I realised that going into the water may not be a real nice option at all. Being as though there are few and far places to land up on the north coast either on or near the beach, I''m currently thinking of slamming it into whatever hole in the trees I can find. Hopefully this scenario doesn''t come to be of course.

At the very least the course is an excellent personal experience if you operate over or near water. If the company pays for it, bonus.

Guest sharky

..shore

wait, that wasn't a choice.

Sometimes there's not much of a shore, but most of the time it's not too deep at the edge, you may not roll over after you splash in.

Toss the fishin' rod out the door...survival 101!

I''m with trees, given Flingers choices. I''m on the left coast up north, Next to no beach and deep, cold water. Basically going in would mean ending up, upside down near a steep rock face or bedrock shoreline. Assuming you get out, you swim the few meters to ground(if your lucky). Then there''s the inevitable hypothermia to look forward to.

Having said that, our trees can be pretty **** big, up to 150 ft and 1 meter in diameter on some strips of shoreline. That isn''t really a good option either.

What we really need are a combination of, good fuel, conscientious engineers, good DI''s, and good airmanship. Prevention is the best, but s#4t happens eh!

ok, let''s say there is no shore...........

i say zoom up to a big tree and stand your machine on it''s tail and give it a big wrap around hug. if you hit it with any inertia it will give and you can ride it down.............

having been upside down underwater before, well i''ll take the trees. also, having done the huet makes me believe that your passengers don''t have much hope once you go under...........

my 10 pesos worth.........

• 3 weeks later...

I don''t know, 412. I''ve done the tree bit, and when you regain your senses, hanging inverted from the straps, dripping blood, hear fuel pumps running and can''t get at the switches because unconscious passengers are draped over them, and can''t get out because there''s a tree trunk plugging your door, it''s damned uncomfortable. I probably wouldn''t like the water a lot more, so will do everything I can to avoid having to make such a choice.

so will do everything I can to avoid having to make such a choice."

downwash, i reckon those be the wisest words that someone looking on the topic for advice can heed. you bring up a very good point and i will concide that there is no "good" way out of that situation. trees/water, either one is going to end in a bad day and we could argue (no, discuss) the merits of both until the cows come home. i like the fact that if you work for an offshore company they supply the huet training. companies ARE coming around (i.e. helijet) and starting to supply the training. but it all starts before you actually push the starter...........

So true guys.  I think that having the HUET training would be a good idea for anyone who does any work with the bucket.  Although the chances are slim of the donk quiting just as we lift the bucket out of the water, it could still happen.  That''s one of the few instances where you don''t have the luxury of choosing the best spot.  

Cheers