Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Maintenance Staff

amodao

I started my apprenticeship 20 years ago at $5/hr. When the Ops Manager added up my hours, he decided to put me on a flat monthly salary....$1000/month.

It was take it or leave it.

A fair apprentice wage in this day and age would start at $2500/month, nothing less.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As has already been said, for many of us it's less about the money than it is about the quality of life. I don't think the current situation will change, until there is an institutionalized limit put on engineering workload, much the same as pilots do with duty days and mandatory days off. I'm no fan of unions, but at least give us something. We aren't robots. Yet, these things aren't going to be handed to us, so the more we pester our employers about workload limits, the sooner something is going to happen.

Throwing money at the problem is only a short term solution. You raise your rates one year pulling in some engineers from another company, and the next year some other company raises their rates, pulling your guys away again, etc. Money isn't going to solve the high turn-over and burn-out rates. Cutting back on engineering workload is pretty much the same as a monetary raise anyways (presuming pay at least stays the same). Less stress/workload means a happier employee. A happier employee is a much more productive and loyal employee. When it boils down to it, this is what the real issue is.

I am not a fan of unions either, that's why I tried to get HEPAC going with no success.

An association would and could get things going with TC.

The last meeting I attended with TC on the subject of work hours for AME's in the field was short circuited by the "owners club".

So say what ever you want individually, it will never happen in your lifetime until you form some kind of representation for everybody.

Individual griping has little or no effect.

Have fun.

Cheers, Don

but everyone up to this date, has their own agenda and their own ideas.....it will be a lifetime before anyone gets on the same page. the industry right now is filled with special deals, special strokes for special folks. So to bring in an association, you have to fight the people first to get them all on the same page....it just ain't gonna happen. too many individuals looking for their special deal still.

Companies have to learn to be proactive instead of reactive. As long as a guy/gal will work for nothin there is always someone who will pay it. I can go on alll day about what the industry is paying but its so across the board it would be pointless.

As for apprentices hate to say it but you cant compare a apprentice from today to 10 years ago. Their drive just isnt there anymore. Not to stereotype

As an educator I can say you are stereotyping, as I know lots of good quality people who are just waiting to get out there and start their careers going.

I know of one medium sized operator who has told me flat out that hiring apprentices is a waste of time for them as they are of no use to them.

Don't complain that you can't find experienced wrenches.

"Not to sterotype" hmmm.....sounds like you are. You can't generalize like that. I know I will work hard long hours for my employer as an apprentice. I have the drive to be an excellent AME, and my standards and expectations for myself are exceptioanlly high.

With my expieriences searching for a company to work for, all I hear is "I would hire you if I had a licensed guy for you to work with." Heli-one, and even Big Red seem to be scooping up all the licensed guys from the smaller operators.

I can sympathise with the companies who do not have the resourses to hire apprentices, but all you lisenced guys had to start somewhere being an apprentice.

Ok sorry about the stereotype but what i was saying was out of the few apprentices Ive had in the last while they wernt worth the money that they were payed. Ive talked to alot of other at companies who say the same. You guys are your own worst enemies. I hope in the future you guys can prove me wrong. There are good apprentices out there but there is alot of #### too.

I find it funny no one dared to commit on my first issue of companies being proactive instaed of reactive.