Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Whop Whop Whop!

Cole

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow every thread I start goes waaaaayyy off course.

So what is the posibility of a person say me to get into a heli for free? :up:

So, Coleman. How do you go from "what creates the whop, whop, whop sound" to bummin' a heli ride without strayin' "off course?" :P Here's your perfect segue: You NEED to hear it firsthand, from INSIDE the heli, to complete your research project. :prop: Just a thought. :D

So, Coleman. How do you go from "what creates the whop, whop, whop sound" to bummin' a heli ride without strayin' "off course?" :P Here's your perfect segue: You NEED to hear it firsthand, from INSIDE the heli, to complete your research project. :prop: Just a thought. :D

But you don't hear it inside the sound is projected away (fwd due to the doppler effect) from the helicopter

Hi guys, new to the forum. Thought I'd chime in on the whole whop whop whop stuff. This whole theory is based on what I learned in maint. school ( 6 weeks to go :up: ) and persional ideas.

It will be much more pronounced on two-blade under-slung set ups (204-5-6) due to the restricted amount of travel or the blades fore and aft within the disc. Also, I think the more blades the smoother the rotor disk(less chance for the air to swirl out of the disc).

You ever hold a rope above your head or beside you and swung it around. It makes a similar sound, but notice how the focus of the sound is from the spot where you start the "flick" of the spin again.

I think the whop whop is the cumulation of the shock wave building along the blade and then firing the sound toward you at the point where the relitive velocity of air is the greatest.

In forward flight you would have the switch of velocity from advacing to retreating when the blade is fore aft, so when the helicoters pointing at you you hear it (doppler effect helping too).

Just a theory, any thoughts?