Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ppc's On The Way Out

hurler

In an effort to start yet anoth serious topic that I sincerely hope doesn't decay into silly match. Rumours have it that PPC's will soon be a thing of the past, and PCC's under the authority of the company CP will be the new proficiency requirement for Ac carrying less than 6 passengers. Any news on this? And does the helicopter community believe that this will lead to a lower level of safety. Apparently TC in a effort to implement SMS feels that it should re groove into an enforcement body and not take the responsibility for PPC's for Ac carrying less that 6 Pax.

Personally in the past I have gained good advice form the various inspectors over the years.. Will the loss of the PPC have detrimental effects....

H

I can only speak for our twin engine 704 operation (air carrier) we are no longer required to perform PPC's every year only every 2nd year. We do PCC's in lew of a PPC. For our single engine ops we already have permission from Transport to wave the PPC requirement, but required to do more training (Amt. can't remember, but I will look it up).

I feel PCC's are more beneficial for the candidate since the instructor can really work on the pilot's weaknesses and refine what they all ready know over a three hour period, instead of the canned 1.5hr TC ride. Where in our operation would be just a standard IFR ride with a few emergencies.

Just my thoughts

In an effort to start yet anoth serious topic that I sincerely hope doesn't decay into silly match. Rumours have it that PPC's will soon be a thing of the past, and PCC's under the authority of the company CP will be the new proficiency requirement for Ac carrying less than 6 passengers. Any news on this? And does the helicopter community believe that this will lead to a lower level of safety. Apparently TC in a effort to implement SMS feels that it should re groove into an enforcement body and not take the responsibility for PPC's for Ac carrying less that 6 Pax.

Personally in the past I have gained good advice form the various inspectors over the years.. Will the loss of the PPC have detrimental effects....

H

If an effort to start ANOTHER serious topic? Like chick pilots?

Since you have admitted to making this a show for you and your forestry crews then I find I would be hard pressed to take anything you say seriously.

Your post has done nothing but outline controversy, perhaps more entertainment?

Ah,no.

sc

If an effort to start ANOTHER serious topic? Like chick pilots?

Since you have admitted to making this a show for you and your forestry crews then I find I would be hard pressed to take anything you say seriously.

Your post has done nothing but outline controversy, perhaps more entertainment?

Ah,no.

sc

Jesus H Christ!!! Lighten up! The MOT stopping doing PPC's is a very serious topic. There is talk of MOT getting out of a lot more than just this. In my opinion it will be a disaster. We all know of cheapo outfits that cut all of the corners they can get away with now. How far will they go with no-one watching. This can only result in more accidents, but also any legitimate operator will be operating at a distinct disadvantage to these chizzle operators.

I don't think that this is a disadvantage to a legitmate operator, if they do the proper training with their crews they will turn out a safe and compitant pilot. For those who choose to cut corners so to speak they will pay in the end one way or another.

For a few years now we have brought in training pilots for each type of helicopter we have and have them give our pilots their training. Although costly initially it pays in the end. An example was one of our pilots had a decel in an Astar this summer and he feels because of the training he had this spring thats what allowed him to put the helicopter safely on the ground. All of our training is with full on auto's which I personally feel is a must in training.

Bottom line is if you are a reputable operator and safety is important, you will do the proper training, whether it's tranport doing the ride or a company check pilot.

We all know of cheapo outfits that cut all of the corners they can......This can result in more accidents....

While this may have some truth to it, the 'cheapo' operators would be wise to fulfill their training obligations, lest an accident investigation reveal a crewmember was not properly trained. This is especially in today's litigious world.

To the pilot who may be flying without proper training: I would hope that one has enough desire towards self-preservation that they would settle for nothing less than proper recurrent training. If not, your employer has said in more or less words, that saving a few bucks on training is more important than your hide and your passenger's hides.

One should consider getting a job with a more reputable company that sees the value and safety in properly trained crewmembers, or, picking up the phone and let the 'higher ups' deal with your cheapo employer.

Well, here's the latest lowdown on PPC's from a TC inspector the other day. Try to follow along!

TC is going to continue to do PPC's but will allow the PPCed pilot to perform PPC's on company pilots as long as their own is done yearly. So if a Chief Pilot or Training Pilot (or whoever the company designates) does a PPC every year with TC they are pretty much the eqivalent of an Approved Company Check Pilot which usually only larger companies have. If you don't do your PPC with TC, the company designated pilot will do it and it can still be extended for two years with a PCC in between. So really it allows a smaller or any company to have just one PPCed pilot by TC to take care of the companies' needs and overall TC will have fewer PPC's to do.

Man, what a mouthfull. Good :up: or Bad :down:? As was said earlier if you work for a reputable place it really doesn't matter. Recurrent training is a good thing and helps keep us sharp. :P

Fly-On

Well, here's the latest lowdown on PPC's from a TC inspector the other day. Try to follow along!

TC is going to continue to do PPC's but will allow the PPCed pilot to perform PPC's on company pilots as long as their own is done yearly. So if a Chief Pilot or Training Pilot (or whoever the company designates) does a PPC every year with TC they are pretty much the eqivalent of an Approved Company Check Pilot which usually only larger companies have. If you don't do your PPC with TC, the company designated pilot will do it and it can still be extended for two years with a PCC in between. So really it allows a smaller or any company to have just one PPCed pilot by TC to take care of the companies' needs and overall TC will have fewer PPC's to do.

Man, what a mouthfull. Good :up: or Bad :down:? As was said earlier if you work for a reputable place it really doesn't matter. Recurrent training is a good thing and helps keep us sharp. :P

Fly-On

To add to this, a company wanting to go this route must have their ops manual revised and approved for this program. They must also present a comprehensive crew training program and have that approved by TC as well...

I for one think the removal of PPC's is good thing for those companies who take training and safety seriously.

The onus is on the CP and OPS Manager to make sure the level of safety stays high and that all training is done to a high standard. PCC's should not be a simple run around the patch and call him/her proficient(although there are some who will do that). There is a schedule that must be followed when doing PCC that cover everything that TC would have done anyway so why not let the company regualte their own proficiency.

We are doing this now and it seems to be working just fine. For those CP's out there do not let friendship and peer pressure get in the way of doing your job.

Having the ability to NOT book TC all the time for PPC's is very nice. :up: