West Africa

Land of the Brave and Dreams of the free.

Where all the helicopter action you could possibly want comes to life. Live a reality, get bitten by malaria infected mosquito''s, learn another language, hold guns and fight wars. Aethiests become religous and holy crap don''t stink.

Thats right fella''s I have been here way to long....

Wheres that weed man, I got stop smoking this stuff.

Iroquois.....

To all those disillusioned pilots out there. West Africa has got to be one of the most exciting places to work. Anyone toying with the idea should seriously consider making the move to flying for an international company. The pay is good, the time off is excellent and your experience level will rocket. Contracts are always being awarded to new companies and the west coast of Africa is a gold mine waiting to be discovered...... you don't agree? Go try it out and see for yourself.....

11.gif

Anyone who was in the Middle East around 25yrs ago will see the similiarities to the present West Africa. The Americans are scouring the world for more secure supplies of oil and dealing with governments over here it is simply a matter of throwing enough money at the appropriate dictator and his cronies (family). It is an area in the process of exploding in a major way. The west coast from Namimbia to Morrocco has huge reserves, possibly as much as 3/4 of Mid East. It is a little crazy, desease ridden, corrupt and fustrating but will also allow you to see how the other half lives and be able to regale your friends in tales. In our operation, operational standards are as they would be in the western world, and with the exception of Nigeria, no more dangerous than some of the bad parts of any urban center, and just like at home, its the people you work with and what you make of it that will determine how enjoyable a tour goes. Its been a great experience and I continue to rotate in and out while enjoying considerable tax advantage, decent salary and heaps of time off Its nice to be able to plan six months in advance. A little common sense and a decent pharmacy can keep most trouble at bay9.gif

----------------

On 8/5/2003 12:39:23 AM Iroquois wrote:

To all those disillusioned pilots out there. West Africa has got to be one of the most exciting places to work. Anyone toying with the idea should seriously consider making the move to flying for an international company. The pay is good, the time off is excellent and your experience level will rocket. Contracts are always being awarded to new companies and the west coast of Africa is a gold mine waiting to be discovered...... you don't agree? Go try it out and see for yourself.....

11.gif

----------------

The last time I was in west Africa, I was in some specfic area's or countries.

West Africa is a big place. Your statement is like saying I really like flying in the Western part of north america.

Try and be more specific and maybe you'll get more replies.

Cheers. I've had malaria.

To be completely honest I wasn't really looking for replies to my opinion.

However, I must say, now that you have raised the issue, I find it interesting that so many people have viewed the 'West Africa' title. This can only lead me to believe that there are a lot of people out there wanting to fly in West Africa, or are just interested in West Africa as a destination.

Why did you view the ' West Africa ' title and have you ever flown in West Africa? Oh by the way, what are the symptoms of Malaria. I have heard varied opinions.

Malaria Symptoms:

Headache/ muscle aches/ (like the worst hangover you ever had ) fever/ chills/ vomiting/ diarrea (sp)/disorientation/depression/ death.

Take your doxy 100mg everyday IT Works

Be carefull cereberal malaria progresses in stages so the first attack can seem pretty mild ( easily mistaken for a flu or food poisoning )followed by a worse one.

There are very simple and reliable tests now so take no chances - get tested is you don't feel well.

If in Canada, be firm, a lot of MD's know nothing about the subject. I recommend having your MD contact the Center for Tropical Diseases (Dr. McLean?)at the Montreal General Hospital for advice (514-934-8049 I think )Remember symtoms can manifest 2-3 weeks after your return.

I have medevaced more than a few people with Malaria and it is nothing to laugh about. Some of the outcomes were not sucessful. ( all were not taking their Doxy daily)

It can be fully cured but if you get bitten again you can catch it again.

Watch out under desks in the morning the little things tend to hide out there during the day.

Long pants at night are highly recommended.

I worked in "West Afica" six years and once I started taking doxy never had a problem.

4 doctors have told me there is no problem with long term Doxy use except you become photosensitive so wear sunblock. ( remember kids with skin problems take up to 500mg/day for years.)

Do not believe anyone who recommends taking nothing so as not to block symptoms and getting it cured once you get it. Remember this stuff will kill you.

Aside from that have beaucoup fun.

Sharkbait

You got me worried man.

I have been back from West Africa for a week now and have the following symptoms.

I feel like I have had a hangover for the last 4days non stop, slightly runny nose, a little dizzy from time to time and basically feeling like I have the flu. Problem is though, this morning I woke up feeling a bit better. I originally thought it mus be the flu as I am not feeling as "fluey". However the headache pain has not really subsided and if I drink water or any fluids I feel a bit nauseous. But it doesn't feel extreme. Do the initial signs of Malaria go in stages. At first they are not so violent and then you feel better and after a while you feel worse again?

Appreciate anymore info you or anyone might have?

I am taking doxy but Im not all together sure it's working..

Iroquois15.gif

Having been in West Africa for a number of years now and having had Malaria a couple of times, I can say the runny nose doesn't jive....but the rest does.

The first thing I notice is fatigue and and that your get up go has got up and went!...along with loss of appetite and general malaise. I made the mistake once of fighting it thinking I had the flu.....14.gifDon't....its a killer and people have gotten onto an airline and been D.O.A at arrivals.

It can be fatal in as little as 48hrs from onset...don't mess with the big M...get tested..it does cure.

PS....Symptoms vary from person to person, dose recieved as well as masking of some symptoms via self medication.

Once burst from the Liver , there is an intial onset of flu like symptoms and malaise. As the body adapts to it's invaders, the symptoms often alleviate and you feel a little better. Then about 8-12 hrs later the parasite count increases 32 fold and a second more harsher onset of symptoms becomes evident. The Tylenol doesn't cut it at this point and after a further 8-12 hrs...factor32 releases again and so on and so on. The parasites attack the haemoglobin reducing your blood oxygen and this leads to severe fatigue and headaches15.gifThese symptoms increase with every release of a new brood (F32) until the body can't cope and succumbs.14.gifIts nasty...don't f*** with it!2.gif