belly tanks

From what I heard from our pilot-on-location, the ST is not impressing many people. Having the Bucket on the belly is not the answer for a heavy. I was on the fire today, bucketing along side the S64 Tanker......just me and him, good match-up hey, the only aircraft that could possibly keep up....9.gif9.gif

WARNING>>> Excessive BS overload

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey 407,

no aircraft should ever have a bambi attached to anything but the bottom of the longline...even an R22!!!

i watch these "bellie bucketers" on the wx channel and the news and laugh till i get pissed off!!! but what do i know eh?

if you need a crew change on your 407 let me know. went for my first ride in one last month...almost as fun as a medium.

play safe in the camp fire buddy!!!

407Driver - You should see Johnny McDermotts 214Bs in OZ as he has just had a belly tank certified for them. Looks awesome and drops a xxxx load of water. Should make a difference (hopefully) on this upcoming fire season here downunder.

Heli Ops

Hey V-Ref, congrats on the 407 ride, you'd love to fly this rocket for a day or two.

I agree that the Only way to bucket is on a line, way safer when in the water, way more accurate drops, and for those of us that do everything on the line, way faster. I was lapping a 212 yesterday, mainly because of his time-to-fill and my climb rate. With his belly hookup, he needed a wide spot in the river, I used any calm spot on the river, regardless of the tree height....When the wind kicked up to 20 Kts, I lowered the bucket to just below canopy height, and dropped without much wind drift, he was dropping from 50' to 100' over canopy, and not hitting much. They parked him, and I flew all day.....

50% ????? that was funny. It's not an Astar man, I'm running the 180 Gallon bucket at 80 or 90%, starting 1.5 hours of bucketing at 700 lbs of fuel, and still a$$-kicking a 212, (but I admit the guy was really slow). The fire is around 5,000' and it was around 30c. A new B2 on site is running at 70%, and doing a good job with that load.

Hey 407, I guess the 212 guy gets payed by the hour taking his time sipping his coffee enjoying life. Theres no question that the 407 will out perform it, its the king of the sky. Although I remember lapping a astar with a longline on a fire with my 212 could'nt quit figure that one out, no matter how much I kept slowing down I kept catching up to it. Again must be the hourly thing.

100 ft that guy is Dave Brolin. Doing IA and not flying much. The machine BHW is one of ours, it's a straight B. The ski basket is awesome for fires, 200 lbs of whatever fits. All of our Astars (3) have them.

I'm sitting on reds at the Pemberton fire base, not doing much with a BA. Brought the lap top today to keep me from going nuts3.gifBe careful what you wish for.