Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Training In The Okanagan Bc

2BanAviator

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been sitting here for a while now watching this post progress, And thought that I would ad my humble 2cents. I trained in kelowna with john vates and with in two months of starting was told that there was a job waiting for me at the end of my training, I trained on the 22 then on the 44 and was no worse for the wear. I think that the 22 got a bad rep because there was a group of people that jumped into the training buisness that had little or no instructing expirence but figured that there was money to be made and the 22 was the cheapest machine to get into at the time. Then the rash of recks came and ruined a perfect reputation for the poor little helicopter that could :lol::lol::lol:

P.S I Want to make very clear that I have a very deep respect for the men and women who train, A job that I could never do :punk: :punk:

How was the bike trip 412

I've been sitting here for a while now watching this post progress, And thought that I would ad my humble 2cents. I trained in kelowna with john vates and with in two months of starting was told that there was a job waiting for me at the end of my training, I trained on the 22 then on the 44 and was no worse for the wear. I think that the 22 got a bad rep because there was a group of people that jumped into the training buisness that had little or no instructing expirence but figured that there was money to be made and the 22 was the cheapest machine to get into at the time. Then the rash of recks came and ruined a perfect reputation for the poor little helicopter that could :lol::lol::lol:

P.S I Want to make very clear that I have a very deep respect for the men and women who train, A job that I could never do :punk: :punk:

How was the bike trip 412

Thanks for your post mtnhopper, if you don't mind me asking when did you train in Kelowna and what was the job waiting for you? How long has it taken you to get where you are now, where are you now?

So many questions, sorry :D

2BanAviator, Hows it going. I trained in 99 with John when the school was areial recon that is now Airborne Energy. At the time alot of the students were getting hired in whitecourt. I also did a bit with Jim Hoffland as well. As far as how long it took to get where I am now is completely dependent on who you are and what your goals are. I chose to get married and have a family when I was young so that changed my goals, I now have a great job and am able to spend time with my family so I guess its all good. There is alot of great schools out there and also some crappy ones so choose wisely. One thing that worked for me was treating training like my first job. I spent time on weekends with the engineers that would do the inspections learning the machine and asking lots of questions about the company and equipment. And as far as what machine to train on well who knows I loved the robbys and got alot of time on a 44 it was a very reliable and safe machine but I think for training it dont really matter, Its all about the school and instructures so as I said choose wisley you only get one shot , unless your rich :lol: Good luck and have fun.

MH :up:

I'm a little late with this remark, flyin my @## off.

Finaly some fog so I can sit drink coffee an now giggle my @## off.

R-22, it's an ultra light, can't lift anything, and has no buisness in flight training, Frank built a toy that is cheap to buy and even cheaper to opperate. " I won't even get in one", but if anyone needs one moved I'll hook up 100 ft line and sling it with my little 204 ( 47-G4).

To any prospective student looking, check out the stats. Power to weight, size, rotor weight, ect. R-22 a great trainer? no, just cheap and easy to buy, whats more important profit or giving you student a proper education. Ya the 22 can get you past the flight test, but I cant think of anything else it's good at.

Just my oppinion

Rob