Flight Training Puppy Mills (canada)

100ft

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good call but the point of the story is that after the student made the call, the TX stuck open and everybody within earshot heard the instructor screaming and yelling at the poor student ALL THE WAY DOWN!

The bad thing about that is that you know the instructor was right back up baggin on someone else within hours. Like I said, students have to make some decisions.

Cole B)

Edited fur bar spellun.

The bad thing about that is that you know the instructor was right back up baggin on someone else within hours. Like I said, students have to make some decisions.

Cole B)

Edited fur bar spellun.

<_< That is something I find "totally unacceptable" (no, not yer fubar spellin Cole :P ).

There is no reason or circumstance, that any instructor and or teacher, should "lose it" in a cockpit or class room for that matter......an individual that reacts like that with a student surely needs to find a different line of work.....and perhaps should seek professional help (a shrink?).... :down:

<_< That is something I find "totally unacceptable" (no, not yer fubar spellin Cole :P ).

There is no reason or circumstance, that any instructor and or teacher, should "lose it" in a cockpit or class room for that matter......an individual that reacts like that with a student surely needs to find a different line of work.....and perhaps should seek professional help (a shrink?).... :down:

Helilog

Totally agree with you, had a CP once that would insult, chastize, and belittle his crew during training. Made for a wondeful training experience. It still blows me away to think that someone with no social or leadership skills could make it into a training/management position. Training should be a positive experience, whether you are just begining your training or doin your annual recurrancy. Why would anyone want to stress out a student or crew member at a time that you want them to focused completely on the task or procedure at hand. I don't think anyone performs to the best of their ability when their confidence has been shattered by some moron yelling at them for not doing something right. We all have bad days and sometimes things do not sink in or we cannot perform to the best of our abilities. It is the instructors job to acknowledge this and reinforce the positive not chew them a new *** because they did not meet an expectation. In most cases I would say the reason the student did not do as expected was because the training pilot did not communicate the components of the procedure effectively. Instead of demoralizing the student maybe the focus should be turned back on themselves. There are definitely those out there that just do not grasp things..again though if the CP hired that person who can be blamed for their lack of ability or comprehension in training?

Fortunately I now have the privelage of training with two of the best (if not the best) in the industry (in my opinion.) Their aproach is very relaxed, they do not throw compliments or negative comments around, they focus on the training. They will spend as much time as required to get you to a point where you feel confident in the task at hand. The compliment comes at the end of the flight when they say " I am happy, anything else you want to do or work on" and then "lets go home"

No ego stroking, No verbal abuse, just a positive enviroment in which one feels comfortable asking questions and trying new things. They both know that there is more than one way to do something and acknowledge this with each pilot. We all do things a bit different but if the end result is the same (ie a safe landing, load safely on the ground or dealt with emergency) then our way is the right way. It is the narrowminded instructor that feels there is only one way to do something that is a liability. Every emergency is different and one needs to be able to adapt quickly and effectively to each situation. Having the "do it my way or else" attitude beatin in to you will not save your life...but it might cost you it.

Plink

Good writeup plink. I have to agree with you.

Its sad to see people conssider giving up their dreams because someone doesnt know how to teach.

Its interesting. Some maneuvers I feel perfectly safe with one instructor, but another, totally freaked out. I think its the hype. One instructor goes over it so many times and makes you think if you mess up to the slightest youre going to die when your doing a spin at 6000', where one instructor I have could be inverted a foot off the ground in a 172 and you would feel totally safe.

I hope this helps weed out some of the bad schools. However, there is a line where the fault of the school for being a puppy mill would fall on the student for not doing his or her homework befor throwing 40-60grand at them.

Cole B)

I hope this helps weed out some of the bad schools. However, there is a line where the fault of the school for being a puppy mill would fall on the student for not doing his or her homework befor throwing 40-60grand at them.

Cole B)

You got it Cole

Buyer beware!

P

You guy's all bring up excellent points.....the best advice i always give.....visit as many schools as possible (in person)....talk to the instructors, the administrators, and most of all the students. It is "your" money, so shop wisely and compare.....for as many sub average instructors out there, there are also excellent ones........ ;)

i just had a flashback to some mountain training with Jan Elbe :up:

those that have been there would know what i mean:

"(german accent") "ok...you are too high...too high...now you are too low...too low ok too fast...you are too fast..." Thump! "ok..dat vas perfect...do it again" :up:

and of course my all time favorite:

"Vell, zat vas all done perfectly...until za end ven you F%*&ed IT ALL UP"!!!!

:punk: :up: :punk: :up: :punk:

another time as chief pilot i was doing his training and then he would do mine while transport canada sat in the back of the 212 and watched. he picks it up and i locked his left pedal waaayyyy in. "Vell i can't land from za hover now" i looked over and grinned "well you better figure something out". he managed to get it on the ground in ok fashion. then we switched rolls and as soon as i went through translation he smashed in ALOT of right pedal :shock:

zen he looked over wiz zat smile and said " ZO, and how are we today?" :blink:

i said (as i was stuffing it over desperate for airspeed) "you realize if you keep that much pedal in i will have to roll off the throttles in the flare and hope i'm half assed straight!"

he just smiled and started humming some german folk song and TC in the back started mumbling about what a bad idea this was........ :rolleyes:

HAHAHA sounds alot like the Belgiun instructor I have... alwasy very calm.

"Okay, so when we do the speen, we can go left au we can go ghright" So I spin, and recover immediately "Okay, that was good, oweveghr the 172 can be spun much longer and more aggressively. I will demonstrate" Stall, pedal found a whole new meaning of stomped, over she goes. He starts counting... 1, 2, 3, 4, okay, now opposite ghruddeghr... and we can pull back up fairly firmly"

So after I pulled my brain out of my shoes, he looks at me and goes "Very good, now your turn"

He is a very fluent pilot and a very competent pilot (on the other hand, he WAS belgium military, and has countless hours of flying in fighters, and aerobactics...)

Good fun all around, I think I might go for an aero endorsement to keep myself current. (not to mention the huge grin they put on my face, I mean, if you have to fly fixed, it may aswell be up side down)

Cole :punk:

Not to insult anyone, but just because you have thousands of hours flying does not mean you're going to be a good instructor. Instructing experience and attitude is what's going to make a good or great instructor. Patience and the ability to descirbe the same thing 8 different ways also has a lot to do with it.

there are good arguments for both camps.

High timers may pass along valued "bush" tips that may one day prove useful... "hey, when you're lifting a drill on 150 feet of line at 5000 feet on the side of a glacier, make sure you...", but the student's not going to use this for quite a while.

Low timers may have more empathy for their students because they recently went through the whole exerciese... "treat each exercise as something completely of itself... if you mess it up forget about it and move onto the next item..." whatever...

The thing is it's based on the individual not how many hours are in the logbook, which may not be accurate anyway...

Besides, there isn't anybody that can teach you how to fly... Instructors are facilitators that help in your learning process. They provide suggestions and exercises that let the student build on their skills and knowlegde all the while protecting students from the dangers they do not yet know about. You don't need thousands of hours to do that.

RH1

RH1, you hit the nail right on the head, thanks.