Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Astar B2's And B3's

vintagemilano

there's enough to have a special course if I'm not mistaken. The airframe isn't much different from many aspects, but the engine has some new qualities to be aware of. Any engineer worth his salt could do the changeover without much difficulty as long as he knows how to read and has the manuals at his disposal.

I'll ask the guys on monday what the course was about and let you know (maybe by then someone will have chimed in anyway and helped you out)

As far as I know Transports considers all Astars under one endorsment, D all the way to B3. Out in the real world what do people consider the notable changes between a B2 and a B3 that an engineer going from reasonable B2 experience to no B3 experience should be aware of?

The B3 has a digital engine control with a mechanical backup, plus it has a VEMD. So it is much more computerised...

Our three experienced Astar Engineers attended a three day 'differences' course. Don't think that you can manage the B3 without one, you will be looking for trouble! They are now enlightened by some of the upgrades and changes Eurocopter made.

I have taken an Arriel 2 series course that was 4 days long, learned alot from it especially because I had already some time on the B3. There are some major difference in the internals of the engine even though it looks really similar. and as stated above the a/f differences course is helpful in understanding the decu and vemd interface. just my past experience. take the courses if possible it is a different bird for sure, but not totally different