Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Accumulate And Average Hours Over Contracts?

407D, I only got to Banff in 86 and didn't have any courses there since, Bob did some previous but he was not ex-Okanagan,,,,

I hope Arnie that the overtorque inspections were done on your poor old jetbox,,,many thousands of dollars spent wwhen over 120. These overtorques will get you, there was a 206 in sask which had it trany and rotor system fly away while pilot in hover no one hurt but the obviously there was a problem with the roof,,,,hmm. And a 212 can be overtorqued quite fine, know a fella whom came off the back of a mountain with a load off skiers, he said he saw the torque going DOWN through 120. And what happens to your 204/5 in winter she can be overtoqued just fine. I think a descent comparison would be that if you had 1000 hours piston time then on to medium would make sense for power management. At Associated the rule was 2000 hour prior to Astar but that was more of a seniority thing, plus the crappy lts 101 were going bang. I understand your argument just not the means to justify it is all. :up:

As far as tents, check out the pilots handbook for Alberta, operators must supply a tent for aircrew for first few days on fire. It ain't over yet.

What is working well to keep the crews happy is merely charging the customer 4 hours a day crew minimums seperate from any hourly on aircraft, so far works in everything but forestry, but maybe an idea to put forth.

sc

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skullcap, that sounds like a fine idea.

One other option is a 'standby rate'. Many industries charge a standby rate when not being paid the full hourly when they are not working. Something along the lines of $60-70 per hour for lights (adjust for intermediates etc). The pilot and company take 50% each. It's a nominal fee and it's fair if the customer wants a machine on site for the day.

Of course, mins would still be in effect during peak season.

Just my 2 cents.

Just like the growing problem in B.C and Alberta with skilled trade workers there will always be an issue with supply and demand. Who are the companies turning too, Mexico,philipines etc. Why because they can find cheap labour and the people are thrilled about coming to Canada to work.

There will always be more mediums in this country then the demand will ever call for, other then the odd week or two where the fires are burning up in the summer. Those mediums that a moving drills or work all winter, wonder what the going rate for those are? No one will ever know but the lowest bidder always wins the contract.

There will always be operators who are going to except an average system, for them its better then the alternative. A small amount of cash flow looks better to the bank then nothing.

I disagree with it, there should be a set rate in the industry for rates and everyone should stick to. In this fine industry that will never work because there will always be people cut throating one another, thats just the way it is. I'd be very surprised if that ever changes.

By golly The Kingshead that is one great attitude you have there, the word Whore comes to mind when I read your posts and last time I looked the lowest bidder sure don't move drills in the winter.Try calling Bertram Drilling and telling them you'll do it for $300 less an hour than Skyline and see what they tell you, it sure won't be your hired Pal, so maybe get your head out of the KINGS *** and open your eyes and listen you might just learn something.

DT3

There are many company's out there that have the work and would love to add more mediums to there fleet. Skilled crew shortages are the only reason they don't.

Some company's choose to park there a/c for the winter. Others do not. Those that fly all year are not operating at a loss, I can guarantee that!

I agree with DT3 on that one. I'll give you Brian's and Darryl Bertram's cell number and you can give them a call. Benny and Gord would love to see fresh meat show up in staging!

"412 Driver,

You where guarenteed 2 hrs per day. What happens if your in AB (4 hr mins per day for aircraft) but you didn't fly? Were you paid 2 hrs or 4 hrs? Only asking!"

sorry i didn't reply for a while....2 days in Disneyland with my nieces :up:

if the machine made 4, i made 4. if the machine made 0, i made 2.....

407D, I only got to Banff in 86 and didn't have any courses there since, Bob did some previous but he was not ex-Okanagan,,,,

I hope Arnie that the overtorque inspections were done on your poor old jetbox,,,many thousands of dollars spent wwhen over 120.

'kin rights. I called the chief engineer directly and let him know right away.

AP

DT3 from what I understand bertram drilling owns Skyline helicopters and they have a deal set up with alternatives in the past if the 212's where sking.You seem to know everything so i will say no more.

Seems to me that if you owned both the drill and helicopter company you would look after both companies best interests. Skyline is an exception and possibly Heliquest, they have very nice looking aircraft also. They seem like a very well run outfit.

You should educate yourself outside of Bertrams world, talk to companies such as Encana and they will tell you what a 205 or a 212 go's for in the real world,they generally will take the lowest bidder. How about those other companies situated in Calgary/Redeer who par-take in the recording side of things. B2's going out for the cost of a BA WET to get in there?

Have fun sitting around in staging, you won't see me there.

Yes, the afs handbook says to bring a tent. I have to get fed properly and have a good nights rest especially when working heavy hours. This is a safety issue and I am surprised the afs suggests compromising saftey for burning trees. We all get caught up in the excitement of the moment but folks, ITS JUST

A FOREST FIRE. The saddest and stupidest thing of this is the deaths that occur for this natural cycle. Do not let yourself get caught up in this situation. Facilities of some kind can usually be found close to the action be it a fishing lodge, town, gas plant etc. Politely explain at the end of the day that in order to continue to provide safe service that you need proper facilities to shower and rest. The world will not come to an end and everyone can perform to the best of their abilities. I not only want to be on the ball, but I want the other 8 drivers that are somewhere in the smoke within 5 miles of me to be just as sharp as they can be. play safe