Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Dominion-pegasus Helicopters Pilots And Engineers

Last I heard Mel Barton was retired and living in Cochrane. I worked with him at Dome Petroleum in th eearly 80s before he started his "Formal" Airline Career :up:

I think the last job he had was flying a DC 10 from India to Europe.

I also knew some of the DomPeg guys in Inuvik in 1973-74 but can't remeber their names. One was flying the 205 and the 206 at the time.

1973-74---Inuvik----205 = Doug Bougner (sp)

This thread had me find my 1987 reunion newsletter

The scary part was I saw a photo of me with dark hair and it past posted for 36 cents

:up: Well TQN, you were absolutely right. Having this thread up in Helicopter Operations did the trick-getting a lot more feedback. It would sure be nice to have some real names instead of the user names. I know that I would know some of the people behind the names. I remember most of the people mentioned here. It's always interesting to know where these old friends and co-workers are now and what they're doing. Time slips by very quickly. It seems (at times) that I just finished my training at Dom-Peg and here now, it's just about retirement time!!! Wow, the time goes by very quickly.

Hope we can keep this up for a while yet. Thanks again TQN---till later, mon ami_HL

I never worked with Dom Peg.

My second helicopter ride, however, was in a Pegasus 47J in Timmins during the texas Gulf rush.(1962or 64)

Anyhoo I am sitting here in Myanmar with a 76 looking across the desk at Richard Voss who started with Dom Peg as an Engineer in Jan 1974.

How about Jim Woods?

Remember Steve Richardson - he came to a sad end in Chibougamau.

And we all remember Bruce Mecier (SP?) ran into an aunt of his a couple of years ago at a BBQ at a friends ciottage - small world.

Anyhoo Richard says "Hi" to all.

Guest graunch1

Thanks Elvis but that name doesn't seem to ring a bell. I know he did a flight at the time with the head filled with STP and **** near lost it as the STP had stiffened up so much due to the cold weather. Don't know the whole story on that one.

YEV was fun place in those days with so many helicopters and stiff wings working in the area. Tuesday night in the Mad Trapper seemed to be always aviation night in the back corner.

Currently sitting in my office in YYC watching it snow :mellow:

Guest graunch1

Could have been the one. All I can remember -(from an evening in the Mad Trapper) was the story that the a/c had been ferried up from the south in warm wx and had sat for a while in the new Dom/Peg United Heli hangar until it was cold out, then the pilot went for a flight and it got reaaal stiffff and slow but he was able to control the disk enough to get it on the ground.

A year before Kenting had lost the 205 out of Whitehorse due to the lack of lubricant in the head and everyone was still pretty aware of that one.

Also at the same time an Allouette II (Frontier?) had an incident where the pilot was motoring along over the Delta at low level and the tail boom broke. Luckily on h the up-toque side so that it collapsed into the structure as the very shacken driver did a run-on on the ice.

Great times with all the fun in the Trapper, the Eskimo Inn and the Zoo.

I just heard a couple days ago that the Zoo was being torn down :o

The Makenzie was the premier watering hole in the late 60s and 70s with the bar's name very appropriate to the clientel

Last I heard Mel Barton was retired and living in Cochrane. I worked with him at Dome Petroleum in th eearly 80s before he started his "Formal" Airline Career :up:

I think the last job he had was flying a DC 10 from India to Europe.

I also knew some of the DomPeg guys in Inuvik in 1973-74 but can't remeber their names. One was flying the 205 and the 206 at the time.

Say graunch1, Is Mel Barton living and retired in Cochrane, Ontario or Cocherine, Alberta or Cocherine somewhere else? Just curious. If its Cocherine, Alberta I'll have to look him up next time I'm there. Thanks