Can Someone Enlighten Me?

Regarding the AA Mini Maglight, there is a replacement LED head available from an outfit called Nite Ize. I got mine at Mountain Equipment Coop - less than 10 bucks. It is more of a backup to my Streamlight but it does eliminate the battery and bulb longevity issues.

Well thanks for the tip mr. skywrench!

Just got my Nite-Ize LED upgrade from MEC...6 bucks!!! Ol' AA Maglite's got a new lease on life now.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Pelican brand makes great flashlights. I work in areas where "explosion proof" is a must. (otherwise known as intrinsically safe or IS) Their stuff is all waterproof, IS, and very tough.

The model I use has an LED bulb and 3 "N" cells, with a pushbutton on the end. The bulb life is measured in decades, and I normally go a year in between changing the batteries. It's not as bright as the xenon bulbs, but it's compact and hasn't failed me yet. You can have the brightest flashlight in the world, but it's no good to you if it's in your toolbox when you need it.

Pelican also makes a great headlamp that's IS. It runs on AA batteries and has both low beam (LED) and high beam (halogen) settings. It's a little on the heavy side compared to some of the new LED-only headlamps, but it provides longer life and brighter light. I keep that one in my toolbag for times when you're lying on your back in the snow under a cranky piece of equipment, cursing enough to make a sailor soil himself.

• 2 weeks later...
Well thanks for the tip mr. skywrench!

Just got my Nite-Ize LED upgrade from MEC...6 bucks!!! Ol' AA Maglite's got a new lease on life now.

I also picked up the Nite-Ize LED upgrade kit from MEC. I am impressed. The LED Maglite now throws a beam (yes, a beam!) of intense white light. Easy on the batteries, no more bulb burn-out. I'm sold.

FYI... the mini-mag AA is on sale at Korean Tire....er... I mean Canadian tire, for $11.49 and the LED upgrade at MEC is a mere $6.50