Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

What Was He Thinking?

Guest Angry Egg Driver

Count me in the 10% then who feel it is crap and don't do it....course am alot older than the fella in question.

Have been to this place and is beautiful and the river is tight. But sorry, flew over it not down it.

I guess some folks just like looking for trouble instead of avoiding it.

sc

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the 500 is perfectly capable of that kind of flying

I'm sorry bud but you are incorrect, I have seen the aftermath of a 500 doing hammer heads and the result was one twisted tail boom and that cost the guy his job and I don't know if he is still working in the industry.

I know guys who have work as a spray pilot and think that that kind of behavior is ok becaus they have had "training" and that is BS! There is a difference between a agricultrual turn and a hammer head and only one has a place in this line of work and that is not with passengers on! Only when you have spray booms on and even then it's not that easy on the machine(Jet Ranger).

Fly safe

SG

Yeah........and flying real low over the tree tops is fun too until someone tells you that you are doing it so that someone can't' take good aim at you.......so STAY LOW fool! It's then that you start to learn two things: 1) it's a long alley without trash cans, so don't 'push it' and 2) many of the parts produced for a/c are produced by the companies that submitted the lowest bid.

I'm sorry bud but you are incorrect, I have seen the aftermath of a 500 doing hammer heads and the result was one twisted tail boom and that cost the guy his job and I don't know if he is still working in the industry.

I know guys who have work as a spray pilot and think that that kind of behavior is ok becaus they have had "training" and that is BS! There is a difference between a agricultrual turn and a hammer head and only one has a place in this line of work and that is not with passengers on! Only when you have spray booms on and even then it's not that easy on the machine(Jet Ranger).

Fly safe

SG

one example of a bad result doesn't qualify as a blanket statement that covers every aircraft that was treated wrong.

Does anyone remember when that 407 did the barrel roll at the airshow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgoRtoZubKI) , it's funny how everyone then, or at least alot of people were quite impressed that a 407 could do that and many were very adamant that the aircraft could do it with out a problem. Many were just as mad about the rumour was Bell had grounded it indefinately. Funny how the tables have turned now.

We could argue your example because we don't know all the facts of it. We could argue this for a millenium and all we'll be doing is bickering back and forth.

My opinion is that properly done, the 500 can handle the manouvers seen in that video, but proper maintenance must also be a part of that equation. for all we know your example could have had a thousand other underlying causes as well. Should we discuss them one by one?

Fenstron,

I can't imagine why you so vigourously defend the actions of the pilot in the video or anyone else who wants to pump his 'look what I can do' attitude.

Whatever your motives, I hope I don't work in the same hanger as you.

Guest Angry Egg Driver

I originally saw the post here and thought i would bring it over.....Never thought that it would cause such a comotion.....

http://verticalreference.com/helicopterfor...?showtopic=5013

I know several of the guys working at this company and they truly are good pilots/engineers and some great people....

My first job was working for Ed Wilcox at E&B helicopters.I can still remember to this day what he told me when he kicked my arse out the door on my first job....He looked me in the eye and said "everything you do out there I will find out about so fly like I am always watching you and you will have a long and succesful career,because if i find out that you are out there screwing around in one of my machines it will be a short career with me"....

Words I have lived by for 9 years now.....

I have a few thousand hours in a 500.They are a very fun machine to fly.But fly them like they are flown in this video often and repetitively and you will have problems at some point.PMA blades are a known weakness on 500's,they have a 200 torque event/35 hr inspection on them.

The pilot in question is someone that i have spent a lot of time with over the years and he is a good guy.....he just likes to push the envelope a little far sometimes.