Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Reporting

Elvis

Thats a fine line. many likely use the fat end of a kindergarten pencil to use to their advantage if need be.

I'd like to see the CARS definition if it exists. I tried doing a quick search, but all I came up with was some AIP Gen 3.2 reference. I don't have time to search more, it's dinner time, I'm hungry.

Well, excellent question Elvis.

I like to think of it using this analogy. Say you really have to take a crap, driving down the highway 1 and the next availability of toilet paper is 20 miles to go so you squeez up them but cheeks, but depite your best effors a little turd pops out and leaves a tiny skid mark, this is an incident and should not be reported as the matter with little effort can be rectified.

If however it just so happens that you ate at Mcy dees and forgot to take your Zantac and before reaching the bathroom and a large gas entrapment blows out a large dispersment of left overs that proceed to bypass the first barier and runs down towards the floor! This is an accident. Preventable as it may have been the compounded sequence of events have resulted in catostrophic resuts.

Please note that only the latter should be reported.

I hope this is clear.

Cheers

KK2

KK2

Merriam Webster defines the two as follows:

Incident:

1. Occurence Happening

2. an action likely to lead to grave consequences.

Accident:

1. an event occuring by chance or unintentionally.

It would appear from these definitions that one is an action the other an event.

Event as defined by M.W.

1. an occurence

2. noteworthy happening

It would appear that an incident is an action being an act or deed that could lead to an accident, (event) which is actually just an unintentional incident.

ie: I unintentionally(accident) barrel rolled my Jetbox which led to my expulsion from my present employer (incident). In which case you should report both to Transport for being dismissed for an accidental unintentional incident.

Go figure!

TSB "Appendix A" defines an incident as "an occurance whose consequences are less serious than those of an accident, or that could potentially have resulted in an accident (for a more precise definition, see the Transportation of Safety Board Regulations)".

Hope it helps, it's from the 2005/2006 TSB annual report to Parliament.

HBD

I've pasted some interesting facts on the subject.

One question I have is what kind of deterrent (ie: fine or loss of licence) is being used to keep the shady pilots/operators out there honest?

"reportable aviation accident" means an accident resulting directly from the operation of an aircraft, where

(a) a person sustains a serious injury or is killed as a result of

(i) being on board the aircraft,

(ii) coming into contact with any part of the aircraft or its contents, or

(iii) being directly exposed to the jet blast or rotor downwash of the aircraft,

(B) the aircraft sustains damage or failure that adversely affects the structural strength, performance or flight characteristics of the aircraft and that requires major repair or replacement of any affected component part, or

© the aircraft is missing or inaccessible; (accident aéronautique à signaler)

"reportable aviation incident" means an incident resulting directly from the operation of a rotorcraft having a maximum certificated take-off weight greater than 2 250 kg (4960 lbs), where

(a) an engine fails or is shut down as a precautionary measure,

(B) a transmission gearbox malfunction occurs,

© smoke or fire occurs,

(d) difficulties in controlling the aircraft are encountered owing to any aircraft system malfunction, weather phenomena, wake turbulence, uncontrolled vibrations or operations outside the flight envelope,

(e) the aircraft fails to remain within the intended landing or take-off area, lands with all or part of the landing gear retracted or drags a wing tip, an engine pod or any other part of the aircraft,

(f) any crew member whose duties are directly related to the safe operation of the aircraft is unable to perform the crew member's duties as a result of a physical incapacitation that poses a threat to the safety of any person, property or the environment,

(g) depressurization occurs that necessitates an emergency descent,

(h) a fuel shortage occurs that necessitates a diversion or requires approach and landing priority at the destination of the aircraft,

(i) the aircraft is refuelled with the incorrect type of fuel or contaminated fuel,

(j) a collision, a risk of collision or a loss of separation occurs,

(k) a crew member declares an emergency or indicates any degree of emergency that requires priority handling by an air traffic control unit or the standing by of emergency response services,

(l) a slung load is released unintentionally or as a precautionary or emergency measure from the aircraft, or

(m) any dangerous goods are released in or from the aircraft;

---------------

Reportable Aviation Accidents and Incidents

(1) Subject to subsection (5), where a reportable aviation accident or incident takes place, the owner, operator, pilot-in-command, any crew member of the aircraft and, where the accident or incident involves a loss of separation or a risk of collision, any air traffic controller having direct knowledge of the accident or incident shall report to the Board as much of the information listed in subsection (2) as is available, as soon as possible and by the quickest means available.

(2) The report referred to in subsection (1) shall contain the following information:

(a) the type, model and nationality and registration marks of the aircraft;

(B) the names of the owner, operator and, where applicable, the hirer of the aircraft;

© the name of the pilot-in-command;

(d) the date and time of the accident or incident;

(e) the last point of departure and the point of intended landing of the aircraft, including the date and time of the departure;

(f) where the aircraft is not missing or is not inaccessible,

(i) the location of the accident or incident by reference to an easily defined geographical point, or by latitude and longitude,

(ii) the number of crew members, passengers and other persons that were killed or sustained a serious injury,

(iii) a description of the accident or incident and the extent of any resulting damage to the aircraft, the environment and other property, and

(iv) a description of any dangerous goods on board, or released from, the aircraft;

(g) where the aircraft is missing or inaccessible,

(i) the last known position of the aircraft by reference to an easily defined geographical point, or by latitude and longitude, including the date and time of that position,

(ii) the number of crew members and passengers on board the aircraft,

(iii) a description of any dangerous goods carried on board the aircraft, and

(iv) the action being taken to locate, or gain access to, the aircraft; and

(h) the name and address of the person making the report.

(3) In addition to the reporting requirements set out in subsection (1), the person making the report shall, in a form approved by the Board, submit to the Board within 30 days after the accident or incident all the information required by subsection (2), unless otherwise exempted by the Board pursuant to subsection (4).

(4) The Board may exempt a person from submitting the information referred to in subsection (3) where the Board has gathered the information through its own investigation of the accident or incident.

(5) Where any person required to do so pursuant to subsection (1) makes a report to the Board, no other person referred to in that subsection is required to make a report.

---------------------

What is the difference between the TSB and Transport Canada?

The TSB and Transport Canada are separate and distinct organizations. Transport Canada is concerned with developing and administering policies, regulations and services for transportation systems in Canada with respect to marine, rail and aviation. This differs from the TSB’s mandate of advancing transportation safety in the marine, pipeline, rail and air modes of transportation through the conduct of independent investigations, the identification of safety deficiencies, and the making of recommendations to eliminate or reduce such deficiencies.

-----------

3. (1) This Act applies in respect of aviation occurrences

(a) in or over Canada;

(B) in or over any place that is under Canadian air traffic control; and

© in or over any other place, if

(i) Canada is requested to investigate the aviation occurrence by an appropriate authority, or

(ii) the aviation occurrence involves an aircraft in respect of which, or that is operated by a person to whom, a Canadian aviation document has been issued under Part I of the Aeronautics Act.