Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Getting Out While The A/c Is Running.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what about A Stars? any thoughts about shutting the hydraulics off and getting out?

NOOOOOO!!!!!

Just kidding mate :D , but I would not recoment that because the elastemerics will want to nutralise them selves and that will put alot of upwards pressure on the collective lock in the unlikely possibility that that lock should fail(I know it's almost impossible the this item to fail but better safe than sorry). Just lock the collective and put lots of friction on the cyclic if you have to get out.

I personally would not do that to often sice the a/c only has a 30 second cool down any ways.

cheers

MG

Gentlemen, turn "Off" your hydraulics in your given a/c or leave them "On". If you have "Force Trim" like in the Mediums, leave it "On" or switch it "Off".........whatever you are comfortable with and/or have been trained to do. Whatever you do with ANY of the a/c you fly is be aware and KNOW the various things that the a/c is capable of while on the ground at idle. Will "Force Trim" lock the rudder pedals from moving or not in your Medium

if it's not on a smooth surface? Sure enough to bet on it? Also do the "physics thing" if you must, BUT understand THIS.......over the decades, some very experienced and very good pilots with scads of time leaving the a/c to refuel or otherwise, have ended their day with "red" faces. The "physics thing" did not work for one very unfortunate pilot from Associated Helicopters many years ago and he was lucky enough to be able to stand on the top of the mountain near Banff and see "reality" take his ride ("Yes"..a 206) down the mountainside. (Cold wait for a ride it was also because cell phones weren't around yet and it was winter :( )

I have my own way of conducting those acts myself and they are based on written examples I have read on what to do/ not to do, others who passed-on their ideas/knowledge over the eons and my own experiences.

My statements here were not meant to lecture, teach or make-little of anyone's ideas or thoughts, nor cause an argument. They were meant only to caution those who have not been caught YET and do so with a "cavalier attitude", that YOU may be next. When your a/c's nose is turning towards you, you ain't in it, weren't paying attention and now no matter what the **** you do you can't seem to get that **** pilot's door open quick enough, THEN you will come to a FULL understanding of what I speak. There is ONE item about all this that is guaranteed............if it happens to to you ONCE and you almost "buy it".......it will NEVER happen to you again.......UNLESS you are a total idiot. As in all other matters concerning our profession, "Do as you wish, but have a good answer in case you screw-it-up"

Over-Talk --------let's just say that amongst those who know me and fly with me, many have wondered if I EVER operate in any mode without the "Force Trim/s" in the "On" possession. :lol: Hydraulics "Off" to me has always been "another subject", but that's because I spent too much time with only "Single Hydraulics" and it destroyed my attitude. :o

Elvis, the machine I was talking about had no damage until it was dropped. I also don't remember when it happened, the railroad opened up to Schefferville in 1957, so it was around then or early sixties.

Cheers, Don

PS: 7 Islands airport had one hangar in those days, I think the helicopters were operating from Port Cartier.

The only time I will get out of the helicopter with it running is if terrain is solid and level, no strong winds, cyclic friction fully functional, collective friction/tie down fully functional, and rotors at flight idle with throttle friction fully functional, and only when a significant operational advantage will be obtained. NEVER in strong winds, on glare ice, on log pads, or in irregular terrain, or if other helicopters will be landing anywhere near, and the fewer people watching the better. On very busy days I will shut down every 3 or 4 hours to get rid of the noise and to look the helicopter over. Those pilots who are proud of never shutting down for 12 hours have their heads up their ***.

On fires I have seen several pilots leave helicopters running and walk the length of the runway to have lunch. Once was because his battery was dead and he couldn't get it replaced right away. Understandable, but he could have had his lunch brought to him, and another time I think the pilot of a medium just wanted to keep charging flying time.

The only time I will get out of the helicopter with it running is if terrain is solid and level, no strong winds, cyclic friction fully functional, collective friction/tie down fully functional, and rotors at flight idle with throttle friction fully functional, and only when a significant operational advantage will be obtained. NEVER in strong winds, on glare ice, on log pads, or in irregular terrain, or if other helicopters will be landing anywhere near, and the fewer people watching the better. On very busy days I will shut down every 3 or 4 hours to get rid of the noise and to look the helicopter over. Those pilots who are proud of never shutting down for 12 hours have their heads up their ***.

On fires I have seen several pilots leave helicopters running and walk the length of the runway to have lunch. Once was because his battery was dead and he couldn't get it replaced right away. Understandable, but he could have had his lunch brought to him, and another time I think the pilot of a medium just wanted to keep charging flying time.

Maybe they didn't have take out service. You can only get window service at fast food joints. I wonder what it would look like at a Tim Hortons line up behind or in the middle of all those cars. :shock:

Ok thanks , I was just thinking of those pee breaks or getting out to un hook a long line or something, but I hear you!

Why would you have to get out to unhook your long line? Don't you have a remote hook or is your belly hook U/S?