Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Female Engineers

tweaker

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lineworker,

I don't think that race has anything to do with the way you preform a job, that is why it is not part of this topic.

I do however know that there are many differences in the way a male and females brains work. Women (in general there are many exceptions I know)(trying not to offend anyone) are not as mechanically inclined as men, it's simple our minds do not look at things the same.

I have no problem admitting I had to work harder than most of the guys I went to school with when it came to grasping mechanical concepts. I was not born an engineer, however I do feel that after time I have become very adept at what I do. I can see the differences between myself and male colleagues and am not afraid to admit that they exist. I may be slower at some tasks however there is no difference in the quality of the completed job.

Like I said before I am looking for responses on how you feel. I don't feel it is "hypocritical" to ask people for an opinion.

I have worked with several Female engineers over the years, and have the UTMOST respect for them. :punk:

These engineers need to be better, know more, and work harder than anyone else just because they are "Girls".

Pilots are Pilots, and Engineers are Engineers. TITS OR NO TITS!!!!

One of the best Engineers I have worked with is female, but a LARGE number of Pilots can not get over the gender thing. I could say or do the exact same thing and no Pilot would question it, but she gets the gears every time!!!!

SHE KNOWS HER S**T!!!

She is now (after 10 years licensed) getting frustrated and wondering what she has to do just to be taken seriously! She is a GOOD ENGINEER and it is a shame that she needs to feel put down as much as she dose.

I have tried to advise her on "Pilot management skills" but she is playing a different game!

I can only hope We as professionals can get over this and judge each individual by there skills, and that alone.

Pinch

I have worked with several Female engineers over the years, and have the UTMOST respect for them. :punk:

These engineers need to be better, know more, and work harder than anyone else just because they are "Girls".

Pilots are Pilots, and Engineers are Engineers. TITS OR NO TITS!!!!

One of the best Engineers I have worked with is female, but a LARGE number of Pilots can not get over the gender thing. I could say or do the exact same thing and no Pilot would question it, but she gets the gears every time!!!!

SHE KNOWS HER S**T!!!

She is now (after 10 years licensed) getting frustrated and wondering what she has to do just to be taken seriously! She is a GOOD ENGINEER and it is a shame that she needs to feel put down as much as she dose.

I have tried to advise her on "Pilot management skills" but she is playing a different game!

I can only hope We as professionals can get over this and judge each individual by there skills, and that alone.

Pinch

I'll second that, well said.

It's well past due that we just judge people on their abilities, ethics and ability to keep things on a professional level when things get rough.

Ironclad.

Pinch

By saying "playing a different game" I don't know how to apply that or how to understand what she is doing. With ten years experience; 'specially if it is field exp., then she has a lot more to base her opinion on than I do. THis summer I had shifted out the engineer the day before and I was washing my hands in the dry. Some driller comes up and asked me "So, when do they send in the other one?" I'm like "other one what?" and he replied "Well, it takes two women to do a man's job; so when do they send in the other one?"

I was floored.

I just walked away from that smarmy smile and went on with the rest of the day. there were some others in the dry at the time; and pretty soon other drillers and camp staff were coming over to the helcopter or stopping me where they saw me to say that they heard what was said to me and how much they felt responsible for it; and how much they disagreed and how supportive they were of me and my job.

But its the comment that I see above that makes me grind my teeth and gets the heart to racing. I hate that comment. Because a lot of people in this industry ARE PROFFESSIONALS!!!!!!! Its just seems to be the "hide-bound" archaeics or the self-centered that ruin it for everyone....and even those people aren't generally well liked anyhow.

Any career has its share of issues; just let the people that are good know you appreciate it and help them to ignore those that don't (or won't) appreciate them; the best crews stick together and watch out for eachother; male and female alike. I send out my best wishes to the fellow woman engineer that is frusterated and angry: I have a lot of respect for someone who has hung in there that long: I'm hoping I'll get there too, someday.

• 2 weeks later...

To Tweaker

My sincere apologies for my volatile outburst. Perhaps the fact that this topic was headed 'female' instead of 'chick' could have been a clue that it was out of line of me. I see that there are some good responses on here and I was the bad guy.

Hope I didn't damage your enthusiasm. I have seen good women wrenches try to infiltrate the ranks of men who believe they don't belong in the industry by working harder than anyone and then validating their opinions by agreeing that most women aren't suited for it, or don't have the same quality of work as men in order to fit in.

I think it is wrong, and that they will eventually come around on their own, and if they don't they'll be less for it.

I'm not sure what the antidote is for bad behaviour from men to women in the workplace is, but it sure isn't ignoring it, so sorry again.

• 3 weeks later...
To Tweaker

My sincere apologies for my volatile outburst. Perhaps the fact that this topic was headed 'female' instead of 'chick' could have been a clue that it was out of line of me. I see that there are some good responses on here and I was the bad guy.

Hope I didn't damage your enthusiasm. I have seen good women wrenches try to infiltrate the ranks of men who believe they don't belong in the industry by working harder than anyone and then validating their opinions by agreeing that most women aren't suited for it, or don't have the same quality of work as men in order to fit in.

I think it is wrong, and that they will eventually come around on their own, and if they don't they'll be less for it.

I'm not sure what the antidote is for bad behaviour from men to women in the workplace is, but it sure isn't ignoring it, so sorry again.

Oh, Come now Lineworker, your post wasn't all that bad. Don't be so hard an yourself. We all have a bad day at one time or the other. Apparantly Dec.21 was your bad day. No big deal. Very decent of you to say sorry, I'm impressed!!:D

• 2 weeks later...