Ctd's Great Western Tour 2003

CTD

We arrived in YYC today - cold and wet after a chilling and snowy -3ºC run through Kananaskis Valley. Yikes. Will post some pics of that when I get back to YOW. She-TD, currently known as SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed), is flying out tomorrow morning, and I'll be headed eastbound after doing a 600-hour on the bike.

Wow. Where do I begin? At the beginning, I guess. Pictures will follow, maybe I'll get them up while sucking on a glass of red in some motel between here and YOW.

407 - SWMBO is still talking about the Selkirks. You're the only other guy (that I know of) who's brought tears to her eyes. Absolutely awesome - I'm impressed at how you effortlessly fly in such a challenging environment. Thanks so much to you both for a wonderful evening, the great meal, and for allowing me to sample your rare malt. I now have one for my collection, but it is indeed very rare in Canada. I'll tell you about it when I get back, but I'd be hesitant to offer any more of it to itinerant travelers! Please thank Superwrench for the technical assist on our intercom snag as well. Give everyone our best.

Downwash, Sir. Your hospitality and splendid company was a real treat. Also, be advised that the special edition wooden-handled corkscrew came in handy and suitably impressed some fairly high-placed folks later in the journey. Thanks for the privilege of your company, the wonderful time at the Caribou, and for introducing me to the Black Bush. I still get a grin out of the look on your face - "Is this Irish?" :up: We'll keep that one for us...

Cap - what a pleasant surprise to run into you in Valemont. Hope the tour went well and downwash gave you that bonus he was telling me about...

4961 - you guys rock Dude. We had an awesome time at your shack - which, by the way, is the nicest house I've ever seen. Can't thank you and L enough for showing us a great time, the park, the village, the glacier, Black Tusk, Duffy Lake Road, some fine food and bevvies. TASTE THE CHOCOLATE! You'll be glad to know she finally did. Hope Leo got his 'problem' sorted out. We'll talk soon.

Touchdown, my old friend. Listening to you whine was music to my ears. Great to see you in such fine form. In addition, the cow, halibut cheeks, and sockeye were up to par. But the guided tour to Tofino in the UN vehicle with the wine, sourdough baguette, smoked salmon, and cheese on the beach took the cake. Great to see you, as usual, but I must report your poor behavior to the Captain, with suitable embellishments, of course.

Deuce - great to see you as well after all these years. We both appreciated the breakfast, I just wish we had had the time to allow you to buy us dinner and scotch. Oh well, there's always later! Remember to give me a call, we'll talk about that little project...

Hightower - I can't believe it's been so long since I saw the LadyTower, and I had never seen the Littletowers. Man. Thanks for the lunch to get us on our way, it got us all the way to Summerland - there we ran into a wine front. Hope the Littlest-tower isn't bugging you too bad for a BMW now....

100ft - Bet you wish the dice had turned up boxcars, huh? Anyway, we're delighted you rolled them - we had a fine evening. It was really cool to meet the lads, and we really appreciated the awesome surf and turf, wine, and the midnight hottub under the stars. Like I said, once you brush up on your hosting skills, you'll make a fine B+B owner someday up on those 5 acres on the river! All the best to Mrs 100ft!

Randy and Linda - too bad it didn't work out. We'll catch you guys next time, unles you're in YOW first!!

These few lines don't even come close to expressing our appreciation to all for the amazing welcome we received everywhere. It really made our trip. Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts.

Rosco - given the reception we received throughout BC, I have become accustomed to the finer things in life. When I arrive chez vous on the solo run across to YOW, I'll require the following:

- A helicopter tour of the area, minimum of one hour. Glaciers and peaks, please, none of that Boreal crap.

- Surf and Turf. No, not Kraft Dinner and Captain Highliner, the real stuff.

- At last one malt that I haven't already had. A fine wine is also acceptable, but it must be very expensive.

- A hot tub for me to soak away the aches of the road. Nearby hot springs will do, but you're driving.

See you mid-week Dude. Will call once on the road... B)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume they have wine.... sounds good.

Got away late this afternoon after doing the major on the scooter. Made it to Swift Current where the hot tub at the Best Western soaked away the chill. Man, the prairies are a lonely place at night on a bike - nothing inj front, nothing behind, and a black sky full of shooting stars. Pretty 'zen' actually.

Anyway Rosco, with the head start, it's looking like Monday night or Tuesday.

Twinstar will be getting a call for dinner tomorrow in the Peg if all goes as planned.

Stay loose Kids.

No problem Dude,

Drop me a line sometime Monday. 800-711-5126.

Watch for the swamp donkeys between Dryden and Thunder Bay, we nailed 5 or 6 in the last while, all at nite.

With the rut coming on, you and that sheep skin Corbin cover might be kinda of appealing to one them! :shock:

Play safe & talk to you soon.

R B)

You say BONUS eh? What bloody bonus? The only bonus I got was the 'private viewing' of his 'Old Folks Card' that Downwash has acquired. That together with the comment, "just wait a while longer for yours" :D . Contrary to any possible rumours that may have started, Valemount is not the western HQ of the 'Over The Hill Gang'.

Nice running into you CTD. As you probably noticed, I was in 'operational mode' so apologies on not socializing more. I'm more than sure that Downwash and 407 Driver made up for any contibution I might have contributed. You were definitely in good hands with those two. :up:

Well the Great One has come and gone.

It was a pleasure having him and we had a fantastic evening indulging in ales and laughter. He was quite soaked when he arrived as his last 2 days of travel were nothing but rain so we fed him, changed him and warmed him up with a hot tub and sauna. :up:

Thank God for sick days! :P

R B)

Sick days indeed you lightweight. I had to drive 1000kms in the rain.

Had a grand time chez Rosco, and was treated to all the above-mentioned goodies. Also, it's a good thing that beer comes in 28 cases now, what would we have done without those extra 4? Thanks again Dude, it was a blast.

Here's Mini-Rosco giving the thumbs-up while he contemplates asking for a new bike...

So, the Great Western Tour is over. Thanks again to everyone who treated us so well, it was an awesome trip. Thanks to Rosco for the shipping assist - without that, the trip would not have happened. FYYFF. B)

Hightower - you need to post the shot of the Lowtower on his new toy.... I don't have a copy of that one.

TWINSTAR!!! You're right - I figured that one out when I pulled over to call you outside Brandon and realized that your area code was funny. My bad and my loss.

In the next few posts, I'll put up some shots from the trip, enjoy...