Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

D Rings

kjw57

caribiner is not really designed for any twisting forces. They do have some higher rated ones but be very careful if putting any sizable weights on them. Not sure what you are going to use them for but there are a gazzilion types of locking latch systems that can be used to higher weights. Crosby has some nice one hand use locking systems for pricey loads.

We used caribiners for nets to haul bears. Put two corners of the net into the remote hook and two corners into caribiners attached to the remote hook cage. Push the button and bingo half the net releases with said bear being set on the ground sans human contact. But bears are expendable(oh my) :o

Carabiners are amazing pieces of equipment...when they are used within their design parameters. They are only designed to take force in one direction, and only when they are closed. They have a far lower strength when the gate in open, they are being twisted, or they are loaded across their short dimension.

During my high angle course, there seemed to be fifteen ways to use a carabiner incorrectly, and one way to use it correctly. They are not even designed to have loads at the two "bottom" corners at the same time. We were taught that if we were in a situation that was likely to have this occur, we should use a triangular-shaped "tri-link" to unify our two loads into a single point load prior to connecting to the carabiner.

Carabiners also require inspection before use - every time.

I would be very careful using a carabiner as a replacement for a round bolt clevis. Vibration can cause the threaded collars that hold a biner into a locked position to rotate and alow the biner to come unlocked. I'm also not much of a fan of the self-locking type...too fiddly for me. Give me a good old large, d-shaped, manual locking steel biner any day of the week.

See your Crosby dealer (century Vallen, Titan, Wesco, Western equip. etc.)

You may want a Crosby g-210 which is a clevise or typical shackle, however on the screw pin there is a large nut and hole for a hitch/cotter pin to lock the screw pin in place. Regular shackle is a g-209 which we just lockwired or ziptied thru the hole in the pin. The other option is a load rated lock-a-loy which is a large chain shape link with the threaded space for joining. But a good Crosby dealer should be able to dazzle you with all types of options. Then ask if its available laod-rated import offshore, may save some dough for beers :up: And ya minimal contact with bears is good, stinky ba@#&%ds.