Hawc Having Pilot Troubles?

about 13% of the worlds pot smokers live in the US, does it surprise you a lost granola crunching hiker had some on him? Did they find a weapon on him too? Was he aggressive? did he do any other crimes?

his only crime was not dumping the weed before getting picked up. He sounds like a harmless and hapless loser caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

since this was the coast guard involved, would you like them to carry too, just in case?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

about 13% of the worlds pot smokers live in the US, does it surprise you a lost granola crunching hiker had some on him? Did they find a weapon on him too? Was he aggressive? did he do any other crimes?

his only crime was not dumping the weed before getting picked up. He sounds like a harmless and hapless loser caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

since this was the coast guard involved, would you like them to carry too, just in case?

fenestron you seem to sum things up with out much thought. I beleive the US Coast Guard does carry, big ones too! the point that he was trying to make is you can't tell if he 's bad or good until you actually confront him.

A few points if you don’t mind:

The RCMP does not generally install armour beneath its vehicles

The RCMP minimum for internally hired regular member pilots was 1000 hrs PIC

The RCMP policy to self-insure results in a massive saving to tax payers every year.

Kelowna RCMP just took delivery of their first AS350 in late 2005. No low time pilot has been or likely will be near it, much less attempting to start it.

The RCMP does not have Special Constables. All air crew are civilian employees. The remaining grandfathered regular member hired pilots are now classified as “acting civilians” but may still carry their duty pistols if qualified annually.

Cdn air regs do allow minimum altitudes to be ignored in police operations. Any decisions on landing to assist with arrests etc will be partly restricted by internal policy.

The RCMP change to civilian pilots arose from cost saving recommendations put to the RCMP commissioner several years ago. This was applied to both fixed and rotary wing components of RCMP Air Services. I did have opportunity to speak with Stockwell Day on this topic. He was surprised to hear of this RCMP policy. He asked for my personal opinion on it. He was a very active and intelligent listener.

Anyone in Canada has arrest powers if they personally find someone committing a criminal offence OR observe someone fleeing arrest by someone with lawful authority to do so (eg. a regular member). As for civil liability stemming from the restraint of someone being pursued by the police….I wouldn’t worry about paying too big a settlement.

100'

fenestron you seem to sum things up with out much thought. I beleive the US Coast Guard does carry, big ones too! the point that he was trying to make is you can't tell if he 's bad or good until you actually confront him.

so, in keeping with my "not too much thought" idea.....why would the helicopter need to land then? circle the guy and call in someone on the ground, who can readily identify the hazard from ground level, the helicopter can stay overhead and provide the vital reconissance and supervision. Should the situation turn ugly, you have a vital piece of equipment still available to you overhead.

so, in keeping with my "not too much thought" idea.....why would the helicopter need to land then? circle the guy and call in someone on the ground, who can readily identify the hazard from ground level, the helicopter can stay overhead and provide the vital reconissance and supervision. Should the situation turn ugly, you have a vital piece of equipment still available to you overhead.

Maybe I'm thinking te wrong way but, the man went off the road because the roads were bad. They might not have been able to get to him by road, or it could have taken too long to and he might have got hypothermea (sp?). I think people should help people whether they are the police or not.